HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV104530
Name:Western boundary of Monastic Outer Court, Buckfast

Summary

A north-south aligned bank and ditch representing the western boundary of the 13th century monastic outer court was exposed during the construction of the new road to the north of the school and which appears to pass through the site of the convent. The boundary is believed to have extended to the south, possibly preserved as field boundaries and a trackway shown on the Tithe Map.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 740 671
Map Sheet:SX76NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckfastleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKFASTLEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BOUNDARY BANK (Constructed, XIII - 1201 AD to 1300 AD (Between))
  • DITCH (Constructed, XIII - 1201 AD to 1300 AD (Between))

Full description

Brown, S., July 2013, St. Mary's Primary School, Buckfast, Devon. Archaeological Watching Brief 2012-2013, 19-21, Figures 3,20,23 (Report - Watching Brief). SDV358143.

Ditch 31 marked the western limit of the excavation undertaken in 2012-2013. The original purpose of the ditch may well have been as a boundary feature asoociated with the outer court of the Medieval abbey at Buckfast. A 2 metre length of the ditch was excavated and found to be 2 metres wide and cut almost 2 metres deep into the local slate bedrock. It was V-shaped with a flat bottom 0.42 metres across. The sides were straight and even and weathering or water erosion over an extended period had worn the bedrock smooth. It seems likely that abandonment of the ditch took place at the end of the Medieval period. It was gradually infilled until the 19th century when the area was levelled and covered with topsoil for use as a garden. A Mediaval water duct 2.5 metres to the east of the ditch may have been used by the adjacent farm complex.


Gent, T. + Manning, P., Nov 2011, Archaeological Assessment of St. Mary's School and St. Mary's Convent, Buckfast, Devon, 5, Fig. 2 (Report - Assessment). SDV351589.

A north-south aligned bank and ditch representing the western boundary of the 13th century monastic outer court was exposed during the construction of the new road to the north of the school in 1982 and which appears to pass through the site of the convent. The boundary is believed to have extended to the south, possibly preserved as field boundaries and a trackway shown on the Tithe Map.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV351589Report - Assessment: Gent, T. + Manning, P.. Nov 2011. Archaeological Assessment of St. Mary's School and St. Mary's Convent, Buckfast, Devon. Archaedia Report. A4 Comb Bound. 5, Fig. 2. [Mapped feature: #64009 ]
SDV358143Report - Watching Brief: Brown, S.. July 2013. St. Mary's Primary School, Buckfast, Devon. Archaeological Watching Brief 2012-2013. Stewart Brown Associates. A4 Bound. 19-21, Figures 3,20,23.

Associated Monuments

MDV7808Related to: Buckfast Abbey (Building)
MDV104534Related to: Orchard to the south of 'South Gate', Buckfastleigh (Monument)
MDV122145Related to: Site of a Medieval Farmstead west of St Mary's Catholic Primary School, Buckfastleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6185 - Archaeological Assessment of St. Mary's School and St. Mary's Convent, Buckfast (Ref: Project No. 1029)
  • EDV6726 - Archaeological Watching Brief at St. Mary's Primary School, Buckfast
  • EDV8051 - Watching brief during the groundworks at Collingwood, Buckfastleigh (Ref: ACD1699)

Date Last Edited:Jun 8 2018 1:15PM