HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV104627
Name:Gladhayes Farm

Summary

Gladhayes, a farmstead shown on 19th century maps, is first recorded in 1330 as Clodeheis

Location

Grid Reference:ST 152 141
Map Sheet:ST11SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishClayhidon
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCLAYHIDON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Unknown date)

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

The farmstead is shown.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Gladhayes Farm' is marked.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH092 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

No information supplied.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


de Villiers, S + Passmore, A., 2014, Barn at Gladhayes Farm, Clayhidon, Devon: Results of an Historic Building Evaluation, 2; Figures 2-3 (Report - Survey). SDV357406.

Gladhayes is first recorded in 1330 as Clodeheis. It is depicted on the 1838 tithe map surrounded by arable and pasture fields as well as orchards. The accompanying apportionment describes the farm as being owned and occupied by John Marke, with the farm itself described as "building and courtledge" and the land use as "barton". The farmhouse was situated to the north of the barn separated by what maps appear to depict as an enclosed garden. It burnt down in 1930, and only fragments of historic stone walling survive. Modern large agricultural sheds have been constructed on its site. On the west side of the farmyard is a cider barn. An historic L-shaped range to the south of this barn has been rebuilt in the later 20th century, although the rear walls of the former buildings have been retained.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH092.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #64101 ]
SDV357406Report - Survey: de Villiers, S + Passmore, A.. 2014. Barn at Gladhayes Farm, Clayhidon, Devon: Results of an Historic Building Evaluation. AC Archaeology. ACD858/2/1. Digital. 2; Figures 2-3.

Associated Monuments

MDV108463Parent of: Barn at Gladhayes Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6609 - Historic Building Evaluation of a Barn at Gladhayes Farm, Clayhidon, Devon (Ref: ACD858)

Date Last Edited:Mar 17 2016 2:27PM