HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV104656
Name:Linhay, Bull Farm

Summary

A 19th century linhay.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 206 033
Map Sheet:ST20SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCotleigh
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCOTLEIGH
Ecclesiastical ParishMONKTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COW HOUSE (Unknown date)
  • LINHAY (XIX - 1840 AD to 1860 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH106.5 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

Linhay. Later a cattle shed. A former linhay built along the length of the rear of the main range with an enclosed section at the north end. It appears on the 1889 OS map but has been much adapted since then. In the 1940's it was extended forwards and its open front was infilled with concrete block. Its roof has been replaced in the 20th century. The southern bay is separated from the main cattle shed by a concrete block partition and a door through to the feeding passage. It is used as a store. Rubble stone, brick / concrete block repairs to walls. The rear wall of the southern section is rubblestone. Elsewhere it is concrete block. The internal partition walls are concrete block. Asbestos sheet roof. Monopitch. The roof runs the entire length of the main range. The current roof is a 20th century replacement, but some of the original roof structure remains at the south end. It appears to have been a monopitch roof of triangular construction, with space for a hayloft. Door/s. The doorway through to the lean -to is in the south end wall. It has a solid pegged frame and the door is missing. Feeding passage. There is a feeding passage to the lean-to, along the rear wall of the main range. The feeding trough has timber rails with head holes through for the cattle. At the north end there is a 2-bay enclosed section and the south bay has a concrete block partition with a door through and is used as a store. There is a door through to the cider house from the feeding passage, with red brick dressings. It has a pegged, solid frame and a ledged door. Currently a cow house.


Thorp, J., 2003, Bull Farm, BH106008 (Ground Photograph). SDV351710.


Thorp, J., 2003, Bull Farm, BH106014, BH106021-BH106022 (Un-published). SDV351711.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH106.5.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #64126 ]
SDV351710Ground Photograph: Thorp, J.. 2003. Bull Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH106008.
SDV351711Un-published: Thorp, J.. 2003. Bull Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH106014, BH106021-BH106022.

Associated Monuments

MDV104646Part of: Bull Farm (Monument)
MDV104654Related to: Cider House with Apple Loft, Bull Farm (Building)
MDV104647Related to: Farmhouse, Bull Farm (Building)
MDV104652Related to: Riding Horse Stable with Granary, Bull Farm (Building)
MDV104653Related to: Stable with Loft, Bull Farm (Building)
MDV104655Related to: Threshing Barn, Bull Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 2 2013 11:15AM