HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV104713
Name:The Old Farmhouse, Dulcis Farm

Summary

Originally, this was a long farmhouse with a hipped roof. In 1815, when a new farmhouse was built, it was converted to a cottage at the west end, with a granary and storage room above. The east end was converted to a stable with a loft over.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 267 995
Map Sheet:SY29NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKilmington
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishKILMINGTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Unknown date)
  • FARMHOUSE (XV to XIX - 1500 AD to 1815 AD (Between))
  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (XIX - 1815 AD to 1815 AD (Throughout))
  • COW HOUSE (XIX to Unknown - 1815 AD (Post))
  • GRANARY (XIX - 1815 AD to 1815 AD (Throughout))
  • POULTRY HOUSE (XIX to Unknown - 1815 AD (Post))
  • STABLE (XIX - 1815 AD to 1815 AD (Throughout))
  • STOREHOUSE (XIX - 1815 AD to 1815 AD (Throughout))

Full description

Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH135.1 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

The Old Farmhouse. Originally in domestic use. Later domestic use; granary; hen house; stable. Originally, this was a long farmhouse with a hipped roof. In 1815, when a new farmhouse was built, it was converted to a cottage at the west end, with a granary and storage room above. The east end was converted to a stable with a loft over. It has since been used as a poultry house and cattleshed. Chert; limestone; rubble stone, brick dressed walls. The 19th century building work uses red brick and some limestone. The earlier masonry is chert rubblestone. Thatch roof. A-frame; cruck truss. A full height crosswall (slightly west of centre) separates the west end from the east. The roof to the east has two 17th century trusses. Further to the east, the trusses date from the early 19th century. The 17th century trusses are raised jointed crucks. They are unusual in that the posts widen at the head with a canted angle rather than the conventional curved form. The western truss is face-pegged, the eastern one is side pegged. The dovetailed-shaped, lap-jointed collars are halved into the principals and held by two pegs each side. The apex joint is a notched, mortise and tenon fixed by a single peg. There are two sets of trenched purlins and a ridge. The roof to the west of the crosswall was much repaired in 1815, but there is one late 17th-early 18th century A-frame truss. It has a notched mortise and tenon apex held with a single peg, a dovetail-shaped lap-jointed collar, halved and held by two pegs each side. There are slots for two sets of trenched purlins and a ridge. Door/s; timber window/s. The front cross passage door (south) has an 1815 round arch of red brick with a beerstone keystone and a hoodmould. The windows from the 1815 rebuild have red brick dressings and beerstone keystones. Other windows have been inserted during the 2001 conversion to a home. Currently a residential conversion.


Thorp, J., 2003, Dulcis Farm, BH135004 (Ground Photograph). SDV351893.


Thorp, J., 2003, Dulcis Farm, BH135018, BH135021-BH135023 (Un-published). SDV351894.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH135.1.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #64179 ]
SDV351893Ground Photograph: Thorp, J.. 2003. Dulcis Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH135004.
SDV351894Un-published: Thorp, J.. 2003. Dulcis Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH135018, BH135021-BH135023.

Associated Monuments

MDV11223Part of: Dulcis Farm, Kilmington (Building)
MDV104732Related to: Double-Fronted Cattleshed, Dulcis Farm (Building)
MDV81848Related to: Farmhouse, Dulcis Farm (Building)
MDV104729Related to: Pound House and Threshing Barn, Dulcis Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 15 2013 10:55AM