HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV104723
Name:World War II Memorials in St. Werburgh's Church

Summary

Memorial plaque and bell, dedicated to the fallen of World War II. Also a framed hand-written memorial in memory of nine men from the ship's band of HMS Trinidad.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 518 485
Map Sheet:SX54NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWembury
Civil ParishWembury
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishWEMBURY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War II - 1939 AD to 1945 AD (Between))

Full description

Walls, S., 2010, The Materiality of Remembrance: Twentieth Century War Memorials in Devon, 245; WEM02, WEM05 (Post-Graduate Thesis). SDV355902.

In Devon the use of bells as a commemorative form predominantly for the Second World War, can perhaps be interpreted as a result of the added symbolic significance bells had after the Second World War, having often been silenced for the majority of the conflict, with the understanding that they would only be rung to signal invasion. It is perhaps therefore not surprising that three of the four examples in the study areas are in parishes near the coast (i.e. Dittisham, Wembury, and Sidbury), which had been amongst those places at highest risk of invasion.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


Brine, M. E., 2013, War Memorials, Photo (Website). SDV351333.

Fixed to the wall at the base of the bell Tower of Wembury Church is a tablet made from local stone engraved with the names of people connected with the Wembury area who died between 1939 and 1945 in the Second War.
Inscription: THE TREBLE BELL IN THIS TOWER WAS/CAST AND DEDICATED, NOVEMBER 13th 1949/TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND/IN THANKFUL REMEMBRANCE OF/(NAMES)/WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR/COUNTRY IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR/1939 - 1945

Also in the church is a hand written memorial to nine men from the ship's band of HMS Trinidad. Framed by drawings of the instruments of bandsmen in the Royal Marines and headed by the phrase AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM (to the greater glory of God) are the names of 9 bandsmen. Below the names of the men are the words: "Members of the Band of HMS Trinidad who were lost at sea, March 1942, and who, in this Chapel, often assisted in the services of our Church."

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #64190 ]
SDV351333Website: Brine, M. E.. 2013. War Memorials. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website. Photo.
SDV355902Post-Graduate Thesis: Walls, S.. 2010. The Materiality of Remembrance: Twentieth Century War Memorials in Devon. University of Exeter. Digital. 245; WEM02, WEM05.

Associated Monuments

MDV1735Part of: Wembury, St Werburgh (Building)
MDV107111Related to: Wembury War Memorial Hall (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 30 2014 9:47AM