HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV104780
Name:Cattleshed, Ford Farm


A late 18th century cattleshed, with extensions between 1840 and 1889, and in the mid-20th century.


Grid Reference:ST 272 053
Map Sheet:ST20NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMembury
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEMBURY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COW HOUSE (XVIII to XX - 1750 AD to 1975 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH144.6 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

Cattleshed. Originally, an L-shaped range of open-fronted cattlesheds, forming the north and east sides of a stockyard. Between 1840 and 1889 the north range was extended further to the east and a pigsty was built up against the south end of the west range. In the mid-20th century, both ranges were extended forwards by about 1 metre, and infilled. Cob; rubble stone, brick/concrete block repairs to walls. There is cob on the wall top in the north range. The rear walls are stone rubble. The front walls are rendered concrete block to the east and boards to the north. Asbestos sheets; corrugated iron. Corrugated iron to the north and asbestos sheets to the east. A-frame; tie beam truss. The east range is 5-bays and the north range is 6-bays. The original roof is complete in the east range, but only one original truss remains in the north range. The waney A-frames have pegged mortise and tenon apexes in the east range. The collars are lap-jointed and pegged. The purlins are clasped in notches in the collars. The A-frame truss to the north has a lap joint at the apex and a lap-jointed collar. There are slots for one set of trenched purlins. The remaining replacement trusses are tie beam trusses with mortise and tenon apexes. They have a longer pitch to the front. There is one set of back purlins and a double ridge. Door/s; open front. The east range has 2 doors to the front which are 2-flap ledge and brace doors on strap hinges. The north range has one ledge and brace door with strap hinges with teardrop finials in the west end. The east range has four plastic windows to the front and a metal framed window to the rear. Cobble floor. Cobble floor in north range. Currently disused.

Thorp, J., 2003, Ford Farm, BH144008 (Ground Photograph). SDV351991.

Thorp, J., 2003, Ford Farm, BH144014, BH144021-BH144022 (Un-published). SDV351992.

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH144.6.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #64247 ]
SDV351991Ground Photograph: Thorp, J.. 2003. Ford Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH144008.
SDV351992Un-published: Thorp, J.. 2003. Ford Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH144014, BH144021-BH144022.

Associated Monuments

MDV104775Part of: Ford Farm (Monument)
MDV77359Related to: Barn, Ford Farm, Membury (Building)
MDV104778Related to: Cart Shed, Ford Farm (Building)
MDV22282Related to: Farmhouse, Ford Farm (Building)
MDV104776Related to: Granary, Ford Farm (Building)
MDV104779Related to: Pigsty, Ford Farm (Building)
MDV27138Related to: Stables, Ford Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Aug 21 2013 2:36PM