HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV1051
Name:The Barton, North Tawton


The Barton was a small manor house built in 1567 and restored in 19th century. It was formerly known as Cottles Barton


Grid Reference:SS 660 004
Map Sheet:SS60SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNorth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH TAWTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS60SE/19
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 92945
  • Royal Albert Memorial Museum Accession Number: 372/2008

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Built, XVI - 1501 AD (Between) to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Cottle's Barton Remains of a Barton' shown on 19th century map as a large irregular shaped building with a formal garden to the south and orchards to the east and west. A U-shaped range of of buildings is shown to the north with further buildings to the north east.

Newton Abbot Branch, 1953, Cottles Barton (N. Tawton), 247 (Article in Serial). SDV364995.

Cottles Barton, built in 1567. Cottle arms to be seen on the porch, 'Or - a Bend Gules', granted in 1570. The Barton can be identified with the Afferton and Barton Babbage of older records as representing the Domesday Royal Manor of 'Tawton', which was largely dismembered in the 15th century.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 411 (Monograph). SDV17562.

An attractive stone built Elizabethan mansion built in 1567 and somewhat restored in 1866.

Williams, H. F. F., 1954, North Tawton: A Devon Market Town, 116-8 (Article in Serial). SDV224896.

Cottles Barton was an Elizabethan Manor House built by the Cottle family in 1672 and sold to William Fellowes in 1718.

French, K. + French, C., 1957, Devonshire Plasterwork, 127 (Article in Serial). SDV4676.

Cottles Barton. Plasterwork of Period 1 (1550-1600). Intersecting kite-shaped panels converging into elegant pendants. There is an overmantel displaying armorial bearings, dated 1599. Designs probably taken from the Abbot Pattern Book.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1971, SS60SE11, SS60SE 11 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV224891.

A good example of its type. Other details: Photo.

Department of Environment, 1987, North Tawton, 35-6 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV227017.

Cottles Barton in North Tawton a house, formerly probably a small manor house.1567, extended in late 16th century and early-mid 17th century, restored in 1866. Front wall and porch of coursed stone ashlar, cob and stone rubble at sides and rear. Gable ended thatched roof. 3 stacks of small dressed stones - one at each gable end, the left-hand one probably rebuilt, and projecting lateral stack at front. Plan: complex development, the exact phases of which can only be tentatively suggested without a thorough survey. House appears to have been new built in 1567 and its plan consisted of 3 rooms with a through passage, lower end to left, and storeyed porch at front. Hall was heated by a front lateral stack but lower and inner rooms may have been unheated; it was 2 storeys throughout but the position of the staircase is uncertain. Above the inner room was a high quality chamber open to the roof. In 1599 the house began to be upgraded - inner room was remodelled to become a good quality parlour and a fireplace was also inserted into the chamber above. A further heated parlour was added in a wing behind higher end of hall. In early 17th century another room of uncertain function was added beyond the inner room and a large framed staircase built in a projection at the rear of the inner room. Probably at this stage the chamber over the inner room had a good quality plaster ceiling inserted. A further addition was made either in early or mid 17th century of an unheated probably dairy wing behind lower room with an adjoining framed staircase in a projection next to the passage. House was restored in 1866 and faced with fine ashlar with stone mullion windows. Also in the 19th century the unheated dairy wing was extended. At an indeterminate date whatever existed beyond the inner room was demolished. Exterior: 2 storeys with attic to porch. Imposing 6-window asymmetrical front of stone mullions of 1866. The 2 porch windows, however, have hoodmoulds which are probably original. The first floor windows have small gables above. The porch has plain segmental stone arch and crudely carved in a stone above is "AN DNI 1567 TC". The right-hand side of the porch has a corbelled newel stair projection rising from first floor level. Inside the porch at the front of the passage is probably the original wooden doorframe, richly moulded. Contemporary oak studded plank door. The rear elevation is equally interesting with the various additions. To the right is the unheated wing which has on first floor of its inner face 2 17th century wood mullion windows which are unusually richly moulded. In the angle of this wing is the stair projection with small gable above. The rear passage doorway is of a similar form to the front although much plainer, it also has a heavy studded door. The heated rear wing (with chimney now reduced) projects to left of centre and has on its inner face a wooden mullion window on the ground floor. On the outer face of this wing at first floor level is another early window which was partly blocked by the addition of the adjoining stair turret on its left. Good interior which shows considerable evidence of the 19th century restoration but retains some very good quality earlier features. Hall has a fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel and hollow chamfered granite jambs. Above it is a plaster plaque with the date 1567 in high relief. Wing at rear of hall has a 3-bay moulded framed ceiling. The rise in status of the inner room is reflected in the very high quality of its features. It has a decorative plaster ceiling which is probably late 16th century of the Phase I type with single moulded ribs forming a geometric design with kite shapes and floral angle sprays. The walls are panelled but to the rear the panelling was moved inwards probably in the 19th century to form a passage behind. The panelling may well be contemporary with the ceiling. It is of an early debased classical form and above the fireplace it has arcading with reeded pilasters and high relief caryatids - above each pilaster is a grotesque animal head with carved frieze in between. The plaster cornice is 19th century. At the rear of this room is circa early 17th century framed oak staircase which divides at the first landing and has an unusual canopy arrangement above. The right-hand section of stairs leads to the chamber above the inner room and at its head is a contemporary doorframe, the left-hand part of which led to the end room which has now disappeared and less than half of the frame survives. There is a similar doorframe at the head of the stairs on the other side with a 17th century panelled door. Inside the high quality first floor chamber is an internal porch with debased classical detail of reeded pilasters on high pedestals. Contemporary door panelled in geometric square design. Ornate plaster overmantle with strapwork design and central shield below in which are the initial "MC" and the date 1599. The moulded plaster ceiling is probably early 17th century and canopied with single moulded ribs in geometric design with floral angle sprays and central pendant. Room over rear parlour has plaster frieze and cornice. Roof: over the main range are 5, probably original, principals with curved feet, threaded ridge and purlins. The 3 lower end trusses have cambered collars halved onto the principals with dovetail joints, the 2 over the hall have mortised collars as do those over the rear parlour wing. There is a solid wall between the hall and inner room rising to the apex. Over the inner room is a high quality truss with cyma moulding and similar moulded purlins, the apex has been cut off. The whole roof is un-smoke-blackened. This house obviously rose in status in the late 16th and early 17th century and its high quality features reflect this.

Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 291 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Griffith, F. M., 1993, DAP/VZ, 1-4 (Aerial Photograph). SDV224904.

Horner, B., 1994, DAP/WC, 22-6 (Aerial Photograph). SDV39277.

Griffith, F. M., 1994, DAP/XB, 10-11 (Aerial Photograph). SDV224905.

Gent, T. H., 1996, Archaeological Assessment of a Proposed Golf Course at the Hams, North Tawton, 11 (Report - Assessment). SDV319191.

Blaylock, S. R., 2002, Observations at St Nicholas' Church, Brushford, Somerset (Report - non-specific). SDV338883.

An example of shingles pegged to 'big oak boards' exist in the roof at Cottles Barton in North Tawton beneath the thatch.

Whiteaway, T., 2003, Archaeological Evaluation of Proposed Site of Lorry Park and Storm Water Storage Pond at the Barton, North Tawton, 2-5 (Report - Evaluation). SDV265762.

Passmore, A. J., 2003, Archaeological Recording During Gas Main Realignment South of Newland Mill, North Tawton, 2 (Report - Survey). SDV219497.

Passmore, A. J., 2004, Archaeological Recording at Site of New Warehouse for Vital Dog Supplies, The Barton, North Tawton, 2 (Report - Watching Brief). SDV319972.

Site may have Saxon origins being identified by several sources with the Domesday estate of 'Tawetone'.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 411.
SDV219497Report - Survey: Passmore, A. J.. 2003. Archaeological Recording During Gas Main Realignment South of Newland Mill, North Tawton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 03.25. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2.
SDV224891Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1971. SS60SE11. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index. SS60SE 11.
SDV224896Article in Serial: Williams, H. F. F.. 1954. North Tawton: A Devon Market Town. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 86. A5 Hardback. 116-8.
SDV224904Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1993. DAP/VZ. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1-4.
SDV224905Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1994. DAP/XB. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 10-11.
SDV227017List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. North Tawton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 35-6.
SDV265762Report - Evaluation: Whiteaway, T.. 2003. Archaeological Evaluation of Proposed Site of Lorry Park and Storm Water Storage Pond at the Barton, North Tawton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 03.60. A4 stapled + Digital. 2-5.
SDV319191Report - Assessment: Gent, T. H.. 1996. Archaeological Assessment of a Proposed Golf Course at the Hams, North Tawton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 96.09. A4 Stapled + Digital. 11.
SDV319972Report - Watching Brief: Passmore, A. J.. 2004. Archaeological Recording at Site of New Warehouse for Vital Dog Supplies, The Barton, North Tawton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 04.11. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 291.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338883Report - non-specific: Blaylock, S. R.. 2002. Observations at St Nicholas' Church, Brushford, Somerset. Exeter Archaeology Report. 02.68. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV364995Article in Serial: Newton Abbot Branch. 1953. Cottles Barton (N. Tawton). Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 85. Paperback Volume. 247.
SDV39277Aerial Photograph: Horner, B.. 1994. DAP/WC. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 22-6.
SDV4676Article in Serial: French, K. + French, C.. 1957. Devonshire Plasterwork. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. A5 Hardback. 127.

Associated Monuments

MDV66163Related to: FIELD BOUNDARY in the Parish of North Tawton (Monument)
MDV67179Related to: Hedgebank (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV409 - Archaeological assessment of a proposed golf course at The Hams, North Tawton
  • EDV410 - Archaeological recording during gas main realignment south of Newland Mill, North Tawton
  • EDV411 - Archaeological evaluation of proposed site of lorry park & storm water pond at The Barton, North Tawton
  • EDV412 - Archaeological recording at site of new warehouse for Vital Dog Supplies, The Barton, North Tawton

Date Last Edited:Sep 2 2022 10:54AM