HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV105305
Name:Wheelpit 270 metres north of Statts Bridge

Summary

Remains of a wheelpit associated with the former Wheal Caroline Mine. The waterwheel it once held is described as 'large and, alas! Motionless' in 1889. It was fed by a branch of the Vitifer leat.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 668 808
Map Sheet:SX68SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WHEEL PIT (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Newman, P., 10/12/1992, Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England Field Investigation (Report - Survey). SDV352719.

Site visit 10th December 1992. The middle portion of a linear openwork was adapted into a wheelpit after its abandonment to serve the Wheel Caroline mine.
Fragmentary remains of a wheelpit which housed a waterwheel used to power pumping equipment in the nearby underground working. The wheelpit was constructed within an earlier disused openwork and now consists only of a pit 30 metres by 1 5metres north to south, and 6m deep, containing some tumbled masonry. An outflow channel measuring up to 3 metres wide by 1.2 metres deep runs south from the south-west end of the wheelpit. Water was supplied via a large linear reservoir located 30 metres to the north-east at SX 66888086 which forms the termination point of the Wheal Caroline leat. It is essentially a widening of the leat but has also been built within and incorporating part of the openwork. It has internal dimentions of 30m north to south and between 5.3 metres and 2 metres wide. The front retaining bank is 1 metres high and between 2 - 5.3 metres wide. The scarp to the rear has a drop of 1.5 metres (A short section of wooden launder would have been necessary to divert water onto the wheel).


Hemery, E., 1983, High Dartmoor, 514 (Monograph). SDV249702.

The waterwheel pit, at right angles to the path from Stats Bridge to Caroline Mine, was fed by a branch from the Vitifer leat, its tail race returning water to the leat just below the path. The wheel is described as 'large and, alas! Motionless' in 1889.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Monograph: Hemery, E.. 1983. High Dartmoor. High Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 514.
  • Report - Survey: Newman, P.. 10/12/1992. Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England Field Investigation. Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England Field Investigation. Unknown. [Mapped feature: #1842 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV6548Part of: Wheal Caroline Mine, Water Hill, (Monument)
MDV105344Related to: Aqueduct 220 metres north of B3212 to east of Warren House Inn (Monument)
MDV27841Related to: Openworks on south side of Water Hill (Monument)
MDV54590Related to: Wheal Caroline Mine Leat (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 11 2017 12:00AM