HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV105375
Name:Stable and Open-Fronted Linhay, Charleshayes Farm

Summary

An 18th century stable and open-fronted linhay.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 212 089
Map Sheet:ST20NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishUpottery
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUPOTTERY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COW HOUSE (Unknown date)
  • MILKING PARLOUR (Unknown date)
  • STOREHOUSE (Unknown date)
  • HAYLOFT (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1800 AD (Between))
  • LINHAY (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1800 AD (Between))
  • STABLE (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH190.2 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

Stable and open -fronted linhay. Hayloft/tallet; linhay; stable. Later a milking parlour; shippon. The rear wall of the lofted section to the west is continuous with the rear wall of the milking parlour to the east. The farmer remembers it as a continuous range in the mid-20th century. It is likely that originally, the milking parlour was an open- fronted linhay and the lofted section was a stable. The open front of the linhay has been infilled with concrete block and the roof has been lowered and replaced by a 20th century monopitch roof. Rubble stone, brick/concrete block repairs. Rear wall is rubblestone, and also the walls of the lofted section. The open-fronted linhay has been infilled with concrete block. Corrugated iron roof. Monopitch. The roof to the milking parlour is a 20th century replacement monopitch roof. The roof to the lofted section was inaccessible. Door/s; loading hatch; timber window/s. The door to the front (south) of the stable is a 2-flap ledged door in a solid frame. There is a window opening to the right of the door, which is now blocked. In the west end, there is a loft loading hatch with a solid, timber frame. Cobble floor. The loft beams in the stable are replacements and RSJ's. The cobble floor in the stable is the only remaining internal original feature. Currently an agricultural store; other. The lofted section is used as a feed store and the lower eastern section is a milking parlour.


Thorp, J., 2002, Charleshayes Farm, BH190003 (Ground Photograph). SDV354359.


Thorp, J., 2002, Charleshayes Farm, BH190009, BH190021-BH190022 (Un-published). SDV354360.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH190.2.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #64824 ]
SDV354359Ground Photograph: Thorp, J.. 2002. Charleshayes Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH190003.
SDV354360Un-published: Thorp, J.. 2002. Charleshayes Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH190009, BH190021-BH190022.

Associated Monuments

MDV48563Part of: Charleshayes Farm (Monument)
MDV60405Related to: Charleshayes Farmhouse, Charleshayes Farm (Building)
MDV105377Related to: Cider House, Charleshayes Farm, Upottery (Building)
MDV105376Related to: Pigsties, Charleshayes Farm (Building)
MDV105374Related to: Threshing Barn, Charleshayes Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 1 2013 2:21PM