HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV10637
Name:Holy Trinity Chapel, Exmouth

Summary

Site of Holy Trinity Chapel which stood on Beacon Hill, to the north of the current church. It is recorded in 1329, was rebuilt in 1779 and in 1824 was replaced by another building to the south-east.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 002 806
Map Sheet:SY08SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishExmouth
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLITTLEHAM

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 448685
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY08SW/13
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SY08SW11

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XIV to XVIII - 1301 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1743, A view of the Lakes, Sands and Oister-Fishery on the Exmouth side of the River Exe (Cartographic). SDV349649.

Chapel depicted on map of 1743.


Unknown, 1757, A Map of Topsham Harbour (Cartographic). SDV340240.

'The Chappel' is depicted on a map of Topsham Harbour.


Davidson, J. B., 1883, On the Ancient History of Exmouth, 162 (Article in Serial). SDV337988.

Chapel on Beacon Hill. Licensed in 1329 by Bishop Grandisson. Dedicated to the Holy Trinity.


Barrow, R., 1924-1925, Chapel of St. Anne, Exmouth, 165 (Article in Serial). SDV349615.

Bishop Stafford granted a licence for Trinity Chapel on Chapel Hill. It was taken down in 1779.


Chanter, J. F., 1924-1925, Old Exmouth, 32 (Article in Serial). SDV349644.

Trinity Chapel appears on a chart of the River Exe of 1698 and also on a plan of 1761.


Russell, P., 1955, Fire Beacons in Devon, Appendix B (Article in Serial). SDV336138.

Trinity Chapel was licensed in 1412 and rebuilt in 1779. The early chapel stood at Chapel Hill, at the northern end of The Beacon terrace, about 61 metres from the present Holy Trinity Church. Harbour lights were set up in 1883 by Captain lewis Upton about 61 metres south of the church. The hill commands the difficult entrance to the Exe estuary.


Abell, G. J., 1956-1958, Holy Trinity Church, Exmouth, 239-241 (Article in Serial). SDV127392.

A painting of 1774 shows a simple building with a west tower, no aisles and transepts and probably just a simple screen between the nave and chancel. It had a thatched roof. It was replaced by a church in the classical style.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 110 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

Several chapels are recorded in medieval documents but only two, Holy Trinity Chapel and St. Margaret's Chapel can be closely located. Holy Trinity Chapel is recorded in 1329 and stood at the top of Beacon and Chapel Hills. It was rebuilt in 1779 and in 1824 it was replaced by another building to the south-east.


Bush, R. J. E., 1978, The Book of Exmouth (Monograph). SDV349607.


Weddell, P. J., 1986, The Excavation of Medieval and Later Houses and St. Margaret's Chapel, Exmouth 1982-1984, 107-141 (Article in Serial). SDV109145.

The chapel served the Littleham side of Exmouth which never had a medieval parish church. It possibly superseded St. Saviour's as the Chapel of Ease although it is not known if they occupied the same site.


Gent, T. + Manning, P., 2013, Draft Environmental Statement on Land off Queens Drive, Exmouth, Table 6.1; figure 6.1 (Un-published). SDV351666.


Pink, F., 2014-2015, South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment (Interpretation). SDV357736.


Delderfield, E. R., Unknown, Exmouth Milestones, 191 (Monograph). SDV349642.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Unknown, SY08SW11 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV349643.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV109145Article in Serial: Weddell, P. J.. 1986. The Excavation of Medieval and Later Houses and St. Margaret's Chapel, Exmouth 1982-1984. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 44. Paperback Volume. 107-141.
SDV127392Article in Serial: Abell, G. J.. 1956-1958. Holy Trinity Church, Exmouth. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 27. 239-241.
SDV336138Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1955. Fire Beacons in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. Appendix B.
SDV337988Article in Serial: Davidson, J. B.. 1883. On the Ancient History of Exmouth. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 15. Unknown. 162.
SDV340240Cartographic: Unknown. 1757. A Map of Topsham Harbour. Unknown. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 110.
SDV349607Monograph: Bush, R. J. E.. 1978. The Book of Exmouth. Unknown.
SDV349615Article in Serial: Barrow, R.. 1924-1925. Chapel of St. Anne, Exmouth. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 13. Unknown. 165.
SDV349642Monograph: Delderfield, E. R.. Unknown. Exmouth Milestones. Unknown. 191.
SDV349643Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Unknown. SY08SW11. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card.
SDV349644Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1924-1925. Old Exmouth. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 13. Unknown. 32.
SDV349649Cartographic: Unknown. 1743. A view of the Lakes, Sands and Oister-Fishery on the Exmouth side of the River Exe. Photocopy.
SDV351666Un-published: Gent, T. + Manning, P.. 2013. Draft Environmental Statement on Land off Queens Drive, Exmouth. Digital. Table 6.1; figure 6.1.
SDV357736Interpretation: Pink, F.. 2014-2015. South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
Linked documents:1

Associated Monuments

MDV19353Related to: Holy Trinity Parish Church, Exmouth (Building)
MDV10653Related to: St. Saviours Chapel, Exmouth (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 6 2015 12:48PM