HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV106590
Name:North Tawton War Memorial Park

Summary

The memorial park was the original location of North Tawton's war memorial, which was moved to the cemetery in 1948. the land was bequeathed to the town by Frank Gibbings, a local builder.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 663 014
Map Sheet:SS60SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNorth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH TAWTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARK (XX - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Between))
  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War I to World War II - 1918 AD to 1945 AD (Between))

Full description

Royal Air Force, 1946 - 1949, Royal Air Force Aerial Photographs (Aerial Photograph). SDV342938.

The war memorial is visible at the junction of the two paths from the entrances on the east and west sides of the park.


Walls, S., 2010, The Materiality of Remembrance: Twentieth Century War Memorials in Devon, 316, 318; Figure 7.11d; NTW01 (Post-Graduate Thesis). SDV355902.

Many war memorial locations were however determined through the choice of individuals, or by the donation of lands, as at North Tawton. The North Tawton war memorial was moved from the war memorial park to the local cemetery shortly after the Second World War, and became associated with war graves and headstone additions through this movement, but more importantly with the families and history of the people of the town, which the previous playing field location with its largely neutral and unknown history did not have. It was also a location more suited to commemoration, as an existing place of grief and mourning, which the playing field could never encompass as a site of recreation and leisure.


Brine, M. E., 2013, War Memorials (Website). SDV351333.

The North Tawton War Memorial was moved to the cemetery in Exeter Street in 1948. It stood originally in the park in Barton Lane, which, like the Memorial, was bequeathed to the town by Frank Gibbings, local builder.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

'North Tawton War Memorial Park' shown.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV342938Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 - 1949. Royal Air Force Aerial Photographs. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Digital).
SDV351333Website: Brine, M. E.. 2013. War Memorials. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #66116 ]
SDV355902Post-Graduate Thesis: Walls, S.. 2010. The Materiality of Remembrance: Twentieth Century War Memorials in Devon. University of Exeter. Digital. 316, 318; Figure 7.11d; NTW01.

Associated Monuments

MDV104375Related to: North Tawton War Memorial (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 28 2014 2:57PM