HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1071
Name:Bondleigh, St James

Summary

The fabric is of 12th century origin with original south doorway. Mostly rebuilt late in 15th century with 16th century addition, and restored in 1890. Variety of good internal features, some of a very early date.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 651 048
Map Sheet:SS60SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBondleigh
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBONDLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5235
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS60SE/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 92894

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XII to XIX - 1101 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV226432.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)340.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV226433.

Lega-weekes, e. /dcnq/4,pt.1(1906-1907)197 fig/tympanum at bondleigh.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV226434.

Clarke, k. M. /dcnq/4,pt.1(1906-1907)228-229/tympanum at bondleigh.


Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV226435.

Aph=dap/ev 12(9/7/1985).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV226436.

Doe/hhr:okehampton rural district/(-2/1960).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV226437.

Doe/hhr:bondleigh/(8/10/1987)7.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV226438.

Cherry, b. + pevsner, n. /buildings of england:devon/(1989)188.


Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV226439.

Aph=dap/je,11,12/(14/8/1987).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV25793.

An interpretation of the symbolism of the figures on the tympanum is given (clarke).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV325837.

Church of st. James. The fabric is of 12th century origin with original south doorway. Mostly rebuilt late in 15th century. Wagonh roofs with carved bosses. Good canopied tomb recess with effigy of priest. Font is 12th century. Some 16th century bench ends (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Parish church of st. James. Has some interesting norman work, including s door with tympanum and 2 richly carved capitals. Rebuilt in 15th-16th century and reconstructed in 17th century. Nave and aisle have original wagon roofs with carved bosses, and there is late 15th century glass (hoskins).


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Parish church. C12 origin, rebuilt in C15 with C16 addition. Restored in 1890. Local stone slate and sandstone rubble walls with some granite ashlar to the tower. Gable ended slate roofs with C19 decorative ridge tiles and coping stones. Plan: Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The earliest part of the Church is the Norman south doorway and the nave may incorporate some Norman fabric. The chancel was probably rebuilt or remodelled in the C15 when the Easter sepulchre was built on the north side. The tower and south porch are also probably C15. The north aisle is considerably later and might even be post-reformation. The Church was restored in 1890 when a number of the windows were renewed. Exterior: 3 stage crenellated west tower with tapering pinnacles which have ball finials. Set-back buttresses. 2-light segmental headed belfry openings. 4-centred arched granite west doorway with roll and hollow moulding and arched hoodmould. 3- light Perpendicular west window has had its tracery renewed. North aisle has 4 tall mullioned and cross transomed windows of 3 lights with segmental heads and square hoodmoulds. Parts of them have been renewed. At the east end of the aisle is a late C19 Perpendicular style windows. The Chancel east window is similar but rather more elaborate. On its south side are 2 late C19 single light transomed windows and a narrow 2-centred arched priests door inbetween which has also been restored. The nave has on its south side a similar single light window to the chancel and a restored Perpendicular style window of 2-lights with a cross transom. Single storey south porch has 2-centred arched doorway whose head has been restored. Above it is slate sundial dated 1706. Good interior which is less restored than the outside. The porch has its original wagon roof with a moulded collar purlin which is supported as a re-used Norman carved stone rams head. Good C12 south doorway in sandstone which has a circular arch decorated with interlaced arcading enclosing a tympanum depicting the Lamb of God flanked by a dove on either side. Decorative carving to imposts and plain stone jambs. 3-bay granite arcade of Pevsner A-type piers and 4-centred moulded arches. Built into the east wall of the aisle are 2 Norman capitals with ornate carving. Chancel has good Easter Sepulchre on north wall with effigy of recumbent priest with cusped arch and Perpendicular blind arcading above, and carved quatrefoils below. The identity of the priest is uncertain. On either side of the east window is a contemporary mutilated canopied image niche. Cinquefoil-headed piscina in south wall. Norman font has square bowl whose sides are variously ornamented standing on central stem with 4 outer columns. The old wagon roofs survive with moulded purlins and carved bosses - larger and more elaborate to the aisle which also has running foliage carved wall-plates. The chancel roof has been renewed. Several C16 bench ends survive with unusual and varying designs. Fragments of old glass have been preserved in the top lights of the south chancel windows and easterly nave window. Good C18 wall memorial in aisle to members of Marshall family with columns and a pediment. Simpler slate memorial slab of early C18 to Mary Guss and her daughter. The relatively simple and somewhat restored exterior of this church is compensated for by the variety of good internal features, some of a very early date. Source: Churches in the Deanery of Chulmleigh - Beatrix Cresswell


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1326420 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

BONDLEIGH BONDLEIGH SS 60 SE 6/11 Church of St. James 22.2.67 GV I Parish church. C12 origin, rebuilt in C15 with C16 addition. Restored in 1890. Local stone slate and sandstone rubble walls with some granite ashlar to the tower. Gable ended slate roofs with C19 decorative ridge tiles and coping stones. Plan: Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The earliest part of the Church is the Norman south doorway and the nave may incorporate some Norman fabric. The chancel was probably rebuilt or remodelled in the C15 when the Easter sepulchre was built on the north side. The tower and south porch are also probably C15. The north aisle is considerably later and might even be post-reformation. The Church was restored in 1890 when a number of the windows were renewed. Exterior: 3 stage crenellated west tower with tapering pinnacles which have ball finials. Set-back buttresses. 2-light segmental headed belfry openings. 4-centred arched granite west doorway with roll and hollow moulding and arched hoodmould. 3- light Perpendicular west window has had its tracery renewed. North aisle has 4 tall mullioned and cross transomed windows of 3 lights with segmental heads and square hoodmoulds. Parts of them have been renewed. At the east end of the aisle is a late C19 Perpendicular style windows. The Chancel east window is similar but rather more elaborate. On its south side are 2 late C19 single light transomed windows and a narrow 2-centred arched priests door inbetween which has also been restored. The nave has on its south side a similar single light window to the chancel and a restored Perpendicular style window of 2-lights with a cross transom. Single storey south porch has 2-centred arched doorway whose head has been restored. Above it is slate sundial dated 1706. Good interior which is less restored than the outside. The porch has its original wagon roof with a moulded collar purlin which is supported as a re-used Norman carved stone rams head. Good C12 south doorway in sandstone which has a circular arch decorated with interlaced arcading enclosing a tympanum depicting the Lamb of God flanked by a dove on either side. Decorative carving to imposts and plain stone jambs. 3-bay granite arcade of Pevsner A-type piers and 4-centred moulded arches. Built into the east wall of the aisle are 2 Norman capitals with ornate carving. Chancel has good Easter Sepulchre on north wall with effigy of recumbent priest with cusped arch and Perpendicular blind arcading above, and carved quatrefoils below. The identity of the priest is uncertain. On either side of the east window is a contemporary mutilated canopied image niche. Cinquefoil-headed piscina in south wall. Norman font has square bowl whose sides are variously ornamented standing on central stem with 4 outer columns. The old wagon roofs survive with moulded purlins and carved bosses - larger and more elaborate to the aisle which also has running foliage carved wall-plates. The chancel roof has been renewed. Several C16 bench ends survive with unusual and varying designs. Fragments of old glass have been preserved in the top lights of the south chancel windows and easterly nave window. Good C18 wall memorial in aisle to members of Marshall family with columns and a pediment. Simpler slate memorial slab of early C18 to Mary Guss and her daughter. The relatively simple and somewhat restored exterior of this church is compensated for by the variety of good internal features, some of a very early date. Source: Churches in the Deanery of Chulmleigh - Beatrix Cresswell
Date first listed: 22th February 1967.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV226432Migrated Record:
SDV226433Migrated Record:
SDV226434Migrated Record:
SDV226435Aerial Photograph:
SDV226436Migrated Record:
SDV226437Migrated Record:
SDV226438Migrated Record:
SDV226439Aerial Photograph:
SDV25793Migrated Record:
SDV325837Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #66620 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 8 2017 12:17PM