HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV107208
Name:Glebe farm, Gidleigh

Summary

Farmstead dates to at least the 17th century, based on documentary evidence and the name indicates that it belonged to the parish church. Was the dwelling of the parish parson until the late 19th century, when the new Rectory was completed.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 665 883
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishGidleigh
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishGIDLEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Glebe depicted on the Tithe Map, 207 on Gidleigh apportionment (House, bartons etc). Dwelling is on the eastern side of the yard. Buildings to the north, south and west of the yard. Glebe meadow directly to the south-west of the farm.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Late 19th century map depicts the farm simply as 'Rectory'. One of the buildings shown on the tithe map is now gone. Possibly some alteration to the farmhouse.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Unchanged from late 19th century depiction, although the label is now 'Glebe Farm'.


Grumley-Grennan, T. + Hardy, M., 2000, Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present, 107-108, 110-113 (Monograph). SDV359347.

Documents dating back to the 17th century record the house as the Old Rectory or the Parsonage until finally it became known as The Glebe or Glebe Farm.
(Details of the parsons provided). After the rectors moved to the new Rectory in 1891, the house became known simply as Glebe Farm.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads (Un-published). SDV352501.

Included on list. No further detail supplied.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Modern map shows only the farmhouse and the building to the north/north-east remain, and appear to adjoin now. Now other structures depicted.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #66723 ]
SDV359347Monograph: Grumley-Grennan, T. + Hardy, M.. 2000. Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present. Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present. Hardback Volume. 107-108, 110-113.

Associated Monuments

MDV114017Parent of: The Old Rectory, Gidleigh (Building)
MDV17740Related to: Creaber Pound, Gidleigh (Monument)
MDV77356Related to: Greenway farmstead, Gidleigh (Monument)
MDV53187Related to: The Old Rectory, Gidleigh (Building)
MDV77684Related to: Thule farmstead, Gidleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 5 2016 11:58AM