HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV107510
Name:Burgoynes (Lovaton), Meavy

Summary

Smallholding dating to at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence. Depicted on the Tithe Map and apportionment names holding 'Lovaton', although this is to the north-west of the main farm. Building alongside the road built mid-late 189th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 543 663
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMeavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEAVY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SMALLHOLDING (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Depicted on the Tithe Map, this holding consisted of a dwelling house with adjoining outhouse, gardens and three plots of land to the north. Named as Lovaton on the Meavy apportionment (337: 'Dwelling house and outhouse, court, gardens and plantation'. Land parcels named 'Lower, Middle and Higher Park' respectively.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

By the late 19th century, a detached building had been added to the holding aligned south-west by north-east. The main dwelling and outbuilding(s) appears unchanged. Not named on map.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The early 20th century historic map shows the farm building to have extended to the south-east and now appears to join the original building, which may have had a porch added to the front (south) face. Holding still not named on map.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 230 (Monograph). SDV1312.

As a name, Lovaton has references going back to the 13th century ('Lovyeton', 1242) but this is likely to refer to the farm to the south-east.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads (Un-published). SDV352501.

Included on list as Burgoynes with an alias of 'Crapps'; it is unclear where this name has been gleaned from as it does not appear on the Tithe Map, as indicated. No further information provided.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Modern map shows 'Burgoynes' and 'Little Burgoynes' at this location.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 230.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #66946 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV45592Related to: Lovaton Bridge (Monument)
MDV78091Related to: Lovaton farmstead, Meavy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 12 2014 11:47AM