HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV107587
Name:Chapel at Halstock, Okehampton Hamlets

Summary

No longer extant, this chapel is only known from documentary sources. Precise location unknown but according to the 1240 Perabulation of Dartmoor, an ancient chapel stood at Halstock dedicated to St. Michael.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 602 936
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishOkehampton Hamlets
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishOKEHAMPTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XII to XIII - 1140 AD? to 1240 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

No chapel depicted on the Tithe Map or can be found in the Apportionment so presumably had been long gone by the 1840s.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 203 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Halstock is 'Halgestoke' in 1240, 'Holstocke Ball' in 1622, meaning 'Holy Place'. There was an ancient chapel here, dedicated to St. Michael, which is mentioned in the 1240 Perambulation of Dartmoor.


Linehan, C. D., 1966, Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon, 127 (Article in Serial). SDV307246.

Halstock Chapel was part of a former village where six tenements were recorded in 1586. The chapel of St Michael of Halgestoke is named in the account of a perambulation of Dartmoor Forest mad in 1240.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 203. [Mapped feature: #2184 ]
SDV307246Article in Serial: Linehan, C. D.. 1966. Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon. Medieval Archaeology. 10. Digital. 127.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV4800Related to: Fice's or Fitz's Holy Well, Okehampton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV107584Related to: Halstock Farm, Okehampton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV107585Related to: Homestead at Halstock, Okehampton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV6900Related to: Saxon fortified farm at Halstock (Monument)
MDV4799Related to: Stone Cross adjoining Fitz (or Fice's) Well, Okehampton Hamlets (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 18 2019 11:02AM