HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV10790
Name:Field named as Chapple Close, Colyton

Summary

Field named as Chapple Close on the 19th century Tithe Map. Possibly the site of Calesdown Chapel documented in the 19th century, although Hutchinson's plan of 1862 shows foundations in the two fields to the south of the Three Horseshoes. These are named as Chapel Meadow and Higher Chapel Pass respectively on the Tithe Apportionment.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 189 913
Map Sheet:SY19SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSouthleigh
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCOLYTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Buried remains of a medieval Chapel in field called Chapel Close. Possibly the site of Calesdown Chapel

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY19SE/9

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV1854.

Three fields in the vicinity of the three horse shoes bore 'chapel' names. These were chapel close (colyton tm 112), higher chapel pass and chapel meadow (branscombe tm 213 + 214). A plan drawn by hutchinson (see dro) shows the latter 2 fields named as chapel meadow + chapel close respectively (turton + weddell).


Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV97930.

Aph=raf vert 11/4/47 16,400 4482,4483 (ch 38/77-8).
Nothing visible


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV97932.

Des=worksheet in parish file.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV97934.

Dro=z19/36/16.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV97935.

Turton, s. D. + weddell, p. J. /archaeological assessment of sww branscombe to gatcombe water main/(1992)3/(emafu report 92.54).


Hutchinson, P. O., 1868, On Hill Fortresses, Sling-Stones, and other Antiquities in South Eastern Devon, 381-382 (Article in Serial). SDV120058.

Hutchinson records that excavations in June 1862 in the field called Chapel Close, opposite the Three Horseshoes, just a few paces from the west hedge and 72 paces from the north hedge, exposed the south-west corner of a building, where ploughing had often been obstructed by stones. The walls were three feet thick. He suggests that some medieval chapel may have stood there. The adjoining field to the west he calls Chapel Meadow and where, near the middle and not far from the road, stones and traces of walls had also been found.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1955, SY19SE17 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV97933.

Field opposite the Three Horseshoes named by Hutchinson in his article in the Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1867 as Chapel Close. The south-west corner of a building, possibly a chapel was excavated here. In the next field, Chapel Meadow, stones and traces of walls have been seen.


Butler, J., 2000, Travels in Victorian Devon, 158 (Monograph). SDV360682.

Hutchinson's plan and description shows foundations to have been exposed in the field to the south of the Three Horseshoes, which he names as Chapel Close. Other foundations are also shown in the adjacent field to the west, named by Hutchinson as Chapel Meadow.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003-2004, East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey, 427 (Archive - Survey). SDV351568.

Field called Chapple Close on Tithe Map/Tithe Apportionment (Tithe Apportionment No. 112).


Torrance, J., 2007, Raddis Lane: Cross-dyke and Chapel, 7-9 (Report - non-specific). SDV347527.

Possibly the site of Calesdown Chapel, referred to in 16th century documents. The chapel itself was likely to have been on the north side of the road, in a field called 'Chapel Close'. The sets of foundations to the south of the road may have been those of buildings associated with it.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Field to north of the Three Horseshoes, the size of which has remained unchanged since the Tithe Map.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV120058Article in Serial: Hutchinson, P. O.. 1868. On Hill Fortresses, Sling-Stones, and other Antiquities in South Eastern Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 2 part 2. A5 Hardback. 381-382.
SDV1854Migrated Record: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J..
SDV347527Report - non-specific: Torrance, J.. 2007. Raddis Lane: Cross-dyke and Chapel. A4 Stapled. 7-9.
SDV351568Archive - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003-2004. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material. 427.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #112445 ]
SDV360682Monograph: Butler, J.. 2000. Travels in Victorian Devon. Travels in Victorian Devon. Hardback Volume. 158.
SDV97930Aerial Photograph:
SDV97932Migrated Record:
SDV97933Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1955. SY19SE17. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV97934Migrated Record:
SDV97935Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV54925Related to: Stone Foundations in Chapple Meadow, Branscombe (Building)
MDV54924Related to: Stone Foundations in Higher Chapel Pass, Branscombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 26 2018 1:00PM