HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV108149
Name:Elfordtown Farmstead, Buckland Monachorum

Summary

Elfordtown farmstead was called 'Yelverton House' in the 19th century and was mentioned from the 13th century

Location

Grid Reference:SX 521 674
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckland Monachorum
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKLAND MONACHORUM

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XII to XIII - 1200 AD to 1299 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Farmstead shown on 19th century Tithe Map as a group of buildings around a rectangular yard with an angled building adjoining to the north-west. This building which was probably the farmhouse is not present on later maps. The Appotionment lists the farmstead as 'Yelverton or Elford Town Farm'. The Tithe Map was drawn before the railway was built in 1859.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Yelverton House' shown on 19th century map as a group of buildings around a rectangular yard with a large building extending to the west and a separate goup of buildings to the north-west. The 19th century railway runs along the western side of the farmstead.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Elfordtown' shown on early 20th century map.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 225-6 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Yelverton is mentioned as 'Elleford' and 'Ellefordlak' in 1291 and 'Elverton' in 1765. The farm is still called 'Elfordtown'. 'Yelverton' is the dialectal form adopted by the Great Western Railway when the station was built in 1859.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads, Elfordtown (Un-published). SDV352501.

Elfordtown shown on the Tithe Map.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 225-6.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #67535 ]
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet. Elfordtown.

Associated Monuments

MDV108153Related to: Elford Town Farm, Buckland Monachorum (Monument)
MDV80039Related to: Elford Town Farmhouse (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 21 2015 3:37PM