HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV108899
Name: Earthwork Ditches at Halberton

Summary

Former field boundaries of potential medieval date onwards are visible as a series of earthwork ditches on aerial photographs of 1946 onwards, at Halberton. The former field boundaries remain visible on digital images derived from Lidar data captured between 2005 and 2010.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 006 127
Map Sheet:ST01SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHalberton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHALBERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Medieval to XIX - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

The boundaries are partly defined on the Halberton parish tithe map of approximately 1838-48.


Royal Air Force, 1946, RAF/CPE/UK/1823, RAF/CPE/UK/1823 RP 3333 04-NOV-1946 (Aerial Photograph). SDV354994.

The former field boundaries are visible as earthwork ditches.


Environment Agency, 1998-2012, LiDAR DSM data JPEG image (1m resolution), LIDAR ST0012 Environment Agency JPEG DSM 19-DEC-2005 & 05-MAR-2010 (Cartographic). SDV357034.

The former field boundaries are visible as earthwork ditches.


Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R., 2014-2015, East and Mid Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project (Interpretation). SDV356883.

Former field boundaries of potential medieval date onwards are visible as a series of earthwork ditches on aerial photographs of 1946 onwards, at Halberton. The linear and curvilinear earthworks are broadly north to south and east to west aligned and closely respect the historic field patterns depicted on the parish tithe map of approximately 1838-48. The former boundary which defines the southern extent of the earthworks is clearly defined on the parish tithe map, whilst that to the west appears to be of modern date and is first depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of between the 1880’s-90’s. The remaining boundaries appear, however, to have passed out of use by the time of historical mapping. The former field boundaries remain visible on digital images derived from Lidar data captured between 2005 and 2010.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV354994Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946. RAF/CPE/UK/1823. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). RAF/CPE/UK/1823 RP 3333 04-NOV-1946.
SDV356883Interpretation: Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R.. 2014-2015. East and Mid Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
SDV357034Cartographic: Environment Agency. 1998-2012. LiDAR DSM data JPEG image (1m resolution). Environment Agency LiDAR data. Digital. LIDAR ST0012 Environment Agency JPEG DSM 19-DEC-2005 & 05-MAR-2010. [Mapped feature: #68238 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6530 - The East and Mid-Devon Rivers Catchment NMP project (Ref: ACD613)

Date Last Edited:Jan 19 2015 2:15PM