HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV108908
Name:Former Field Boundaries at Swanhams Farm

Summary

Possible former field boundaries of medieval to post-medieval date are visible as earthwork ditches on aerial photographs of 1946 onwards, at Swanhams Farm. They remain visible as earthwork ditches on digital images derived from Lidar data captured between 2005 and 2010.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 025 124
Map Sheet:ST01SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHalberton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHALBERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

The former field boundaries are not depicted on the Halberton parish tithe map of approximately 1838-48.


Royal Air Force, 1946, RAF/CPE/UK/1823, RAF/CPE/UK/1823 RP 3329-30 04-NOV-1946 (Aerial Photograph). SDV354994.

The former field boundaries are visible as earthwork ditches.


Environment Agency, 1998-2012, LiDAR DSM data JPEG image (1m resolution), LIDAR ST0212 Environment Agency JPEG DSM 19-DEC-2005 & 05-MAR-2010 (Cartographic). SDV357034.

The former field boundaries are visible as earthwork ditches.


Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R., 2014-2015, East and Mid Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project (Interpretation). SDV356883.

Possible former field boundaries of medieval to post-medieval date are visible as earthwork ditches on aerial photographs of 1946 onwards, at Swanhams Farm. The two parallel earthworks are northeast to southwest aligned and generally respect the historic field patterns depicted on the parish tithe map of approximately 1838-48, although appear to have passed out of use by this time. The former boundaries remain visible as earthwork ditches on digital images derived from Lidar data captured between 2005 and 2010.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV354994Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946. RAF/CPE/UK/1823. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). RAF/CPE/UK/1823 RP 3329-30 04-NOV-1946.
SDV356883Interpretation: Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R.. 2014-2015. East and Mid Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
SDV357034Cartographic: Environment Agency. 1998-2012. LiDAR DSM data JPEG image (1m resolution). Environment Agency LiDAR data. Digital. LIDAR ST0212 Environment Agency JPEG DSM 19-DEC-2005 & 05-MAR-2010. [Mapped feature: #68248 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6530 - The East and Mid-Devon Rivers Catchment NMP project (Ref: ACD613)

Date Last Edited:Jan 20 2015 8:59AM