HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV108948
Name:Bideford Potteries

Summary

Despite any firm documentary or artefactual evidence it is presumed that Bideford was a centre for pottery manufacture in the medieval period with kilns located along North Road, formerly Potters Lane. In 1823 five out of eight potteries in the town were located in North Road. In addition to the North Road potteries there were others in East-the-Water.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 451 268
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • POTTERY WORKS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1975, Bideford Town Trail, 78 (Article in Monograph). SDV352469.

North Road was originally called Potters Lane.

Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 91-92 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

Despite any firm documentary or artefactual evidence it is presumed that Bideford was a centre for pottery manufacture in the medieval period with kilns located along North Road, formerly Potters Lane. The occurrence of the name 'Crocker' in the tax lists for 1332 may reflect the industry in the town at this time. The export of 50 dozens of earthen ware to America in 1655 shows that the industry was well-established by this time. John Berryman is described as a potter in 1659 and Crockers Old Pottery was established in 1668 or 1688. In 1823 five out of eight potteries in the town were located in North Road. In addition to the North Road potteries there were others in East-the-Water, where the last one closed in 1906 [sic]. Map object arbitrary, based on this source.

The Wessex Ceramics Group, King Alfred's College, Winchester, 1998, National Database of Medieval Pottery Production Centres: Devon, 970 (Monograph). SDV352614.

A Reginald Crokker was assesssed for 7s at Bideford in the Lay Subsidy of 1332. This may or may not relate to pottery production.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 91-92.
SDV352469Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Bideford Town Trail. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 78.
SDV352614Monograph: The Wessex Ceramics Group, King Alfred's College, Winchester. 1998. National Database of Medieval Pottery Production Centres: Devon. National Database of Medieval Pottery Production Centres: Devon. A4 Stapled + Digital. 970.

Associated Monuments

MDV15271Related to: Crocker's Old Pottery, Bideford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 23 2020 11:34AM