HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV10955
Name:Feniton Court


Country house, late 18th or early 19th century, with earlier origins. The central two rooms of the main block appear to occupy the shell of an older, probably 17th century, house but no evidence is exposed.


Grid Reference:SY 109 994
Map Sheet:SY19NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishFeniton
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishFENITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY19NW/15
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 86824

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Unknown date)
  • COUNTRY HOUSE (XVIII to XX - 1788 AD to 1927 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR CITING OS, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV122691.

Vis=4/11/1975 (os) cellars beneath present house said by occupant to contain tudor brick (nmr citing os).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV122693.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Feniton Court on Site of Manor House' shown. Map object based on this source.

Watson, W. H., 1929, A Devonshire Village in the Olden Days, 380; Plate 25 (Article in Serial). SDV338790.

Manor house. Lysons in his Magna Britannia speaks of it as having fallen into decay, and as being then occupied by the tenant of the farm. Later pulled down by George Barons Northcote. Feniton Court is built on the site of the manor house.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 397 (Monograph). SDV17562.

The present house is Georgian.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Map object based on this source.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Manor house. The owner reckons it was built in 1788 but it looks early C19 and probably includes the shell of an earlier house, billiard room added in 1927. Plastered walls, some are cob on stone rubble footings; the rest is brick and stone rubble; stone rubble and brick stacks with plastered brick chimneyshafts (some early C19 chimney pots); slate roof. Plan: large house with basically a T-plan. The main block faces south-east and it contains the principal rooms. It has a 4-room plan, 2 either side of a central entrance lobby which contains the main staircase. The end rooms are larger and built as crosswings projecting forward a little. The left room is the library. The service block projects at right angles to rear a little right of centre. The service block has parallel roofs. Most of the rooms are heated by a series of axial stacks. It seems the central 2 rooms of the main block occupy the shell of an older, probably C17, house but no evidence is exposed. In 1927 a new billard room and entrance porch was built behind the left crosswing. It is single storey; the rest of the house is 2 storeys. Exterior: symmetrical 3:5:3-window front of C19 ground floor 15-pane sashes and first floor 12-pane sashes. The 3-window sections each end are in full height curving bay windows. The central doorway contains C20 glazed double doors with an overlight. The centre section has a limestone ashlar verendah with a moulded cornice and parapet over pairs of Tuscan columns. The front and left (south-west) end wall have a flat plat band at first floor level, a moulded eaves cornice and plain parapet above. The centre part of the main block roof is gable-ended with hipped crosswing roofs each end. The windows each end are similar to those on the front and those in the right and have stucco keystones over. The secondary doorway in the left end has a panelled door with side lights and Tusan porch dating from 1927. The service block contains mostly 12-pane sashes. Interior: was not inspected although it is said to contain a great deal of early C19 joinery and other detail. The main stair however is a C20 replacement in late C17 style. Feniton is an attractive little village which contains a good group of listed buildings. Feniton Court stands close to the Church of St Andrew (q.v). It also stands on the site of an earlier manor house and was once the home of the Northcott family and of the Right Honourable Sir John Patterson who died here.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV122691Report - Survey: NMR CITING OS.
SDV122693Migrated Record:
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 397.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338790Article in Serial: Watson, W. H.. 1929. A Devonshire Village in the Olden Days. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 61. Unknown. 380; Plate 25.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV108599Related to: Feniton Court Gardens (Park/Garden)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Dec 4 2014 9:32AM