HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV1096
Name:Frankland Farm House


Frankland farm house built in the early 16th century with 17th century addition & alterations


Grid Reference:SS 630 025
Map Sheet:SS60SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSampford Courtenay
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSAMPFORD COURTENAY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS60SW/5
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to Post Medieval - 1501 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 167 (Monograph). SDV1312.

'Franklands' is mentioned as 'Franklond' in the rental roll of Edward VI in 1549.

Fulford Williams, H., 1957, Sampford Courtenay and Honeychurch, 228 (Article in Serial). SDV337291.

Department of Environment, 1987, Sampford Courtenay (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336454.

Frankland Farmhouse built in the early 16th century with 17th century alterations and addition. Rendered cob walls. Gable ended slate roof. 3 brick stacks, 2 axial, 1 at left-hand end. Plan: 3-room and through passage plan, lower end to the left, hall originally open to the roof with central hearth. Floored in early-mid 17th century when the hall stack was inserted backing onto the passage. The lower end and inner room stacks were probably added later. At some stage in the 17th century a 1-room wing was added at the front of the inner room with a large fireplace at its gable end. It has independent external access and no internal access to the house and if these features are original it is likely to have been built as a bakehouse. 19th century outshut added at rear. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical. 3-window front of early 20th century small-paned 2 and 3-light casements. 19th century panelled and glazed door at centre with oven projection to its right. Projecting wing at right-band end with door at centre of inner face. 19th century outbuilding attached at left-hand end. Interior: hall has fireplace with high chamfered wooden lintel and granite jamb to the right which is chamfered on both sides and has shaped corbel above it. To the right of the fireplace is an insubstantial beam chamfered with notched stops. Inner room has chamfered axial beam. In its front wall is an 13th century wall cupboard with panelled doors. Roof: smoke-blackened medieval roof survives over hall and higher end-hall truss has morticed cranked collar, threaded purlins and diagonal ridge. Other details: LBS No 93017.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 167.
SDV336454List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Sampford Courtenay. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV337291Article in Serial: Fulford Williams, H.. 1957. Sampford Courtenay and Honeychurch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. A5 Hardback. 228.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Nov 8 2006 10:39AM