HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV10994
Name:Adam de Radway's Mill, Sidmouth


The watermill at Mill Cross, opposite All Saints Road formerly Mill Lane, was destroyed by fire in 1847.


Grid Reference:SY 126 876
Map Sheet:SY18NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSidmouth
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSIDMOUTH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY18NW/7

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATERMILL (XIII to XIX - 1201 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Gibbens, G. H., 1950, A Short History of Sidmouth, 221 (Article in Serial). SDV337191.

Adam de Radway had a lawsuit with the monks of Otterton about his two-mills-under-one-roof. It ssed to stand about where Mr. Ford's shop is now. All Saints Road was called Mill Lane until eighty years ago and its junction with Vicarage Road was called Mill Cross. Salcombe Regis owned both banks of the Sid and Radway had to bring a leat from the Woolbrook, which ran right down to the High Street until 1870. His house is thought to have been where a brick mansion was pulled down in 1825 to make room for Sidlands.

Phillips, M. C. + Wilson, R. E., 1978 - 1981, Water Mills in East Devon, 79-80 (Article in Serial). SDV102852.

Documentary records of the original manor mill date from 13th century. It was a water-powered corn and possibly fulling mill of which stone foundations have been found. Possibly two mills were under one roof. No mention of the manor mill after 1797. Two streams supplied mills with water, one running alongside All Saints Road (formerly Mill Lane), the other from the north alongside Vicarage Road. Town Mill was built in about 1817 on a nearby site and took the place of the old manor mill.

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 26 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Other details: No 2.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 206 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

Mills in the Manor of Sidmouth were mentioned from 1619-1626 and fulling mills erected in 1674 were mentioned until 1708. A water grist mill called Sidmouth Mill was leased in 1796 which was fed by two streams. A new Town Mill was built at the end of the 18th century to replace Sidmouth Mills.

2010, Untitled Source, 1-2, 64 (Monograph). SDV348738.

8th September 1847. The 'monks and Adam de Radways' old mill at Mill Cross and other buildings were destroyed by fire. Mill Cross is opposite Mill Lane which is now called All Saints Church Road. A sketch of the mill shows the waterwheel on the front of the building. The location of the mill is shown on the frontispiece of Hutchinson's History of Sidmouth volume 2.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV102852Article in Serial: Phillips, M. C. + Wilson, R. E.. 1978 - 1981. Water Mills in East Devon. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 34. Unknown. 79-80.
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 26.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 206.
SDV337191Article in Serial: Gibbens, G. H.. 1950. A Short History of Sidmouth. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 82. A5 Hardback. 221.
SDV348738Monograph: 2010. Peter Orlando Hutchinson's Diary of a Devon Antiquary. Illustrated Journal. Hardback Volume. 1-2, 64. [Mapped feature: #2525 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV59136Related to: Sidmouth, Manor Mill Leat (Monument)
MDV81033Related to: Town Mill, Sidmouth (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jan 6 2012 3:29PM