HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV109961
Name:Addiscott Farmstead, Moretonhampstead

Summary

Addiscott farmstead shown on 19th century maps as two groups of buildings. The Tithe Map Apportionment lists them as 'East' and 'West Addiscott'. It was mentioned from the 14th to 17th centuries

Location

Grid Reference:SX 760 867
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIII to XVII - 1300 AD to 1699 AD)

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'Addiscott' shown on 19th century Tithe Map as two groups of buildings. The western group consists of four buildings with an irregular shaped yard. The eastern goup consists of a large L-shaped building around the north and west sides of an irregular shaped yard with a rectangular building forming the east side and several small buildings within the yard. The Apportionment for 'Part of East Addiscott' lists Filed Numbers 318-321 as 'House Courts Lane' and Field Number 307 as 'Garden'. The Apportionment for 'West Addiscott' lists Field Number 309 as 'Court Houses', Field Number 310 as 'Back Court' and Field Number 312 as 'Court'. Field Numbers 306, 308 and 311 are listed as 'Garden'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Addiscott farmstead show on 19th century map as two groups of buildings on the south side of the road. The western group around two yards have a horse engine house on the west side and several small enclosures. The eastern group are arranged around several small yards.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1932, The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two, 483 (Monograph). SDV337894.

Addiscott was mentioned as 'Otiscote' in 1333, 'Addescote' in 1524, 'Adiscote' in 1599 and 'Allescott al. Liddiscott' in 1636.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads, Addiscott (Un-published). SDV352501.

Addiscott farmstead.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Addiscott still shown as two groups of buildings.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #69418 ]
SDV337894Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1932. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. IX. A5 Hardback. 483.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet. Addiscott.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV40335Parent of: Farmhouse at Addiscott, Moretonhampstead (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 23 2015 10:10AM