HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1104
Name:Taw Bridge Toll House

Summary

Early nineteenth century toll house.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 673 065
Map Sheet:SS60NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishColdridge
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUNKNOWN

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS60NE/12
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TOLL HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SS60NE5 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV337225.


Sheldon, L., 1933, Devon Toll-Houses., 306 (Article in Serial). SDV341560.

Taw Bridge toll-house on Exeter-Torrington road. Rectangular.


Kanefsky, J., 1976, Devon Tollhouses, 27 (Monograph). SDV7980.

One of a line of five on this road which opened in 1835.


Kanefsky, J., 1984, Devon Toll Houses, 27 (Pamphlet). SDV349663.

An interesting single storey building on the west side of the B3220 Torrington Road, five miles from Morchard Road station. This tollhouse, now disused and decaying, has the door on the right, a bay window in the centre, a toll-board recess on the left and windows at each end.


Department of Environment, 1986, Coldridge (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337226.

Taw Bridge Toll House.
Circa 1835. Brick with some Portland stone detail; brick stack and chimney shaft; slate roof.
Small 2-room building facing north-east with entrance lobby at right (north-west) end. Central room has rear lateral stack.
Low gable-ended range with centre bay broken forward slightly with gabled front over canted bay window comprising a forward 12-pane sash flanked by 8-pane sashes. Plank stable-type door to right and blind window to left both with round-headed arches with slightly projecting keystones. 12-pane sash on left end.
This section of the Exeter-Barnstaple Turnpike road was opened 1835. This toll house is complete. Other details: http://lbonline.english-heritage.org.uk/BuildingDetailsForm.aspx?id=95565.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337225Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SS60NE5. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV337226List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Coldridge. Historic Houses Register. A4 Grip Bound.
SDV341560Article in Serial: Sheldon, L.. 1933. Devon Toll-Houses.. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 65. A5 Hardback. 306.
SDV349663Pamphlet: Kanefsky, J.. 1984. Devon Toll Houses. Exeter Industrial Archaeology Group. A5 Paperback. 27.
SDV7980Monograph: Kanefsky, J.. 1976. Devon Tollhouses. Devon Tollhouses. A5 Paperback. 27.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 17 2015 11:13AM