HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV11216
Name:Ashe House

Summary

Surviving part of a large Tudor house built 1583-6. Burned by Royalists in 1644 and rebuilt 1669-83. Partly dismantled in 1782.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 276 959
Map Sheet:SY29NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMusbury
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMUSBURY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY29NE/8
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 88107

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (XVI to XVIII - 1501 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131331.

Ashe house. John churchill, later the duke of marlborough, was born here in 1650. Occupied since the saxon period. Has a private chapel. Originally an oblong building lying east to west. It suffered much damage during the civil war. In 1669 sir john drake restored the ruins of the original house, adding a new central portion with a north wing, the old part becoming the south wing. He used as building material the ruins of newenham abbey nearby. There is little left of the monastery now. A fire in 1787 damaged the north wing and destroyed the stables and outbuildings. The house became a farmhouse until 1895 when james smith of axminster had the present spacious farmhouse erected close to the old mansion. Today ashe house consists of the original oblong structure of grey stone and a small portion of the central part of the building. The north wing has gone. In the hall is a stained glass window with the arms of the drakes of ashe - a fierce-looking wyvern on a silver shield. The remains of the centre of the house, which now contains the staircase and a small entrance hall, originally reached as far as the little chapel to which it was connected by the north wing. Licence for the chapel was granted by bishop brantyngham on 21st april 1387. The chapel is now decayed and used as a storehouse. The wyvern is carved above the entrance. At the west end the blocked-up doorway which led to the mansion can be seen, and at the east end is a 15th century piscina in the south wall.


ANON., PSANHS, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV131333.

Vis=the oldest parts of the house date from xiv and early xv century. Xiv chapel, later remodelled. Descents given (anon psanhs).


1903, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV131337.

Vis='chapel' and fishponds; shown at ashe house on os 6" (1903) map.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131338.

Coxhead, j. R. W. /tda/83(1951)253-258/the story of ashe house, musbury.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131339.

Osa=sy29ne5/photos.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131340.

Brooking-rowe, j. /tda/39(1907)23-24/proceedings at the annual general meeting at axminster.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131341.

Lysons, d. + s. /magna britannia/6(1822)360.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131342.

Polwhele, r. /history of devonshire/(1797)297.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131343.

Anon/psanhs/73 part i(1927)35-37/ashe house.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131344.

Doe/hhr:axminster rd/(-/1/1960)22.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131345.

Pevsner, n. /buildings of england:south devon/(1952)40.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131346.

Gover, j. E. B. + mawer, a. + stenton, f. M. /the place-names of devon/(1931)646.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131347.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)441.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131348.

Doe/hhr:62:part of east devon(19/10/1984)138.


Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV131349.

Aph=dap/cu 2,3(19/7/1984).


Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV131350.

Aph=dap/ct 10,11,12(19/7/1984).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131351.

Des=os 6"(1903)map sheet 72sw.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV326834.

Vis=rubble built house with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Brick and stone stacks. L-shaped plan of two storeys, with stone mullioned windows. Doorways with cambered heads. Xvii century with good internal features (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Vis=present house was rebuilt c 1670-80, as was the chapel. Slight traces of the earlier xv century house remain (hoskins).


COXHEAD, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV126606.

Vis=3/11/1954(os) two fishponds were built for ashe house by sir john drake when he rebuilt the house after the civil war. The northern part of the estate of musbury which included ashe was held by ailmar in the time of king edward. In 1086 it was held by baldwin the sheriff. Some descents of ownership given (coxhead).


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One (Monograph). SDV1312.

Vis=ashe house is asshe in 1289. Also documented in 1461, 1387 and 1497 (mawer et al).


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1990, Historic Landscape Assessment of Higher Bruckland Possible Reservoir Site and Six Reservoir Service Areas in the Axe Valley, 5 (Report - Assessment). SDV351551.

Lying on the northern edge of the pipeline corridor, this farmhouse was built circa 1895. It adjoins the medieval chapel and mansion of Ashe House.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003-2004, East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey, Site No. 1098 (Archive - Survey). SDV351568.

Ashe House. First documented in 1289 as 'Asshe'. Believed to have been in existence since Saxon period. Chapel licensed in 1387. Oldest parts of house 14th/15th century. Damaged during Civil War; house and chapel restored/rebuilt c. 1670-80 using stone from nearby ruined Newenham Abbey; small enclosed park created. House Listed Grade II*. Chapel (disused) and 17th century garden boundary walls Listed Grade II.
SMR.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

Surviving part of large Tudor house. Built 1583-6. Burned by Royalists in 1644 and rebuilt 1669-83. Partly dismantled in 1782. Stone rubble with freestone dressings. Slate roof with gabled ends with stone coping. Original house was probably E-shaped on plan and all that remains is the south west wing and a short section of the main range. Two storeys. South west elevation in seven window range. Four-light stone mullion windows with four-centred arch lights and leaded panes. External and corbelled chimney stacks on south west side. The east side of south west wing has six-light chamfered mullion window and two-centred arch doorway to cellars without capitals. Small two-light window to side. The north east wing has large 5-light mullion/transom window. The interior is said to have been stripped. Although once thought to have been, it was probably not the Birthplace of John Churchill first Duke of Marlborough. However he was baptised in the Chapel qv.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV126606Migrated Record: COXHEAD.
SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback.
SDV131331Migrated Record:
SDV131333Report - Survey: ANON., PSANHS.
SDV131337Report - Survey: 1903.
SDV131338Migrated Record:
SDV131339Migrated Record:
SDV131340Migrated Record:
SDV131341Migrated Record:
SDV131342Migrated Record:
SDV131343Migrated Record:
SDV131344Migrated Record:
SDV131345Migrated Record:
SDV131346Migrated Record:
SDV131347Migrated Record:
SDV131348Migrated Record:
SDV131349Aerial Photograph:
SDV131350Aerial Photograph:
SDV131351Migrated Record:
SDV326834Report - Survey: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV351551Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1990. Historic Landscape Assessment of Higher Bruckland Possible Reservoir Site and Six Reservoir Service Areas in the Axe Valley. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 90.16. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.
SDV351568Archive - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003-2004. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material. Site No. 1098.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #71600 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV39046Part of: Ashe (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 13 2016 3:38PM