HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV113035
Name:Orchard South of Home Farm, Poltimore

Summary

A former orchard of possible post-medieval to 19th century origin was located on the north-facing slopes south of Home Farm, Poltimore. The orchard remained planted into the 1940s but has now been largely been cleared of trees leaving the distinctive remains of ridges or banks, made to provide increased soil depth and improved drainage for fruit tree planting, visible as earthworks on digital images derived from lidar data of 2005.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 963 960
Map Sheet:SX99NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishPoltimore
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPOLTIMORE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ORCHARD (Post Medieval to XX - 1540 AD to 1946 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The earthwok banks correspond with a depicted orchard. Map object based partly on this source.


Royal Air Force, 1946, RAF/CPE/UK/1823, RAF/CPE/UK/1823 RS 4073-4074 04-NOV-1946 (Aerial Photograph). SDV354994.

The orchard remained densely planted.


Environment Agency, 1998-2012, LiDAR DSM data JPEG image (1m resolution), LIDAR SX9696 Environment Agency JPEG DSM 19-Dec-2005 (Cartographic). SDV357034.

Linear parallel orchard banks were visible. Map object based partly on this source.


Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R., 2014-2015, East and Mid Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project (Interpretation). SDV356883.

A former orchard was located on the north-facing slopes south of Home Farm, Poltimore. The orchard remained planted into the 1940s but has now been largely been cleared of trees leaving only a very light tree cover on the distinctive remains of ridges or banks made to provide increased soil depth and improved drainage for fruit tree planting, visible as earthworks. The banks are aligned north-south in the southern half of the plot and east-west in the middle to northern half.
The earthwork banks correspond with an area symbolised as an orchards on the Ordnance Survey 25inch First Edition Map of the 1880s-1890s, and the orchard was therefore probably of post-medieval or 19th century origin. The banks remained visible as subtle earthworks on digital images derived from lidar data of 2005 and therefore probably survive as low earthwork banks.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV354994Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946. RAF/CPE/UK/1823. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). RAF/CPE/UK/1823 RS 4073-4074 04-NOV-1946.
SDV356883Interpretation: Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R.. 2014-2015. East and Mid Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
SDV357034Cartographic: Environment Agency. 1998-2012. LiDAR DSM data JPEG image (1m resolution). Environment Agency LiDAR data. Digital. LIDAR SX9696 Environment Agency JPEG DSM 19-Dec-2005.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6530 - The East and Mid-Devon Rivers Catchment NMP project (Ref: ACD613)

Date Last Edited:Feb 7 2019 2:40PM