HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV11321
Name:The Vicarage and Brerewood House

Summary

The vicarage, vicarage street. Built about 1529. Rubble with slate roof. Irregular plan due to various enlargements. Coped and hipped gables. Brick stacks. Two-storeyed porch with stepped gable and late gothic doorway. Two-storeyed stone and wood mullioned windows. Core is early 16th century with much later alteration and addition. Restored in 1902. On the front wall appear carved the pomegranate and the tudor rose, the stag's head, the briarwood (brereward) rebus, and the motto 'meditatio totum - peditiatio totum' (os).

Location

Grid Reference:SY 245 940
Map Sheet:SY29SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishColyton
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCOLYTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY29SW/69
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 87911

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125316.

Lysons, d. + s. /magna britannia/6(1822)133.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125317.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: south devon/(1952)88.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125318.

Oliver, g. /ecclesiastical antiquities in devon/2(1840)5.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125319.

Skinner, a. J. P. /dcnq/6(1910-1911)129-130/thomas brerewode, vicar of colyton.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125320.

Bracken, c. W.(ed)/tda/67(1935)18/proceedings at the 74th annual meeting.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125321.

Osa=sy29sw2/photograph.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125322.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)373.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125323.

Polwhele, r. /history of devonshire/(1797)314.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV125324.

Doe/hhr:colyton(19/10/1984)74.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV148.

The vicarage, vicarage street. Built about 1529. Rubble with slate roof. Irregular plan due to various enlargements. Coped and hipped gables. Brick stacks. Two-storeyed porch with stepped gable and late gothic doorway. Two-storeyed stone and wood mullioned windows. Core is early 16th century with much later alteration and addition. Restored in 1902. On the front wall appear carved the pomegranate and the tudor rose, the stag's head, the briarwood (brereward) rebus, and the motto 'meditatio totum - peditiatio totum' (os).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326839.

Vicarage and brerewood house. Vicarage and adjoining house. Early c16, much restored and with circa early c20 additions at rear (west). Surviving parts of a house built in 1520 by canon brerewood (dr thomas brerewood) chancellor to bishop veysey and referred to by leland as "a fair house". Stone rubble with freestone dressings. Slate roof gabled and hipped. Two storeys. Irregular plan. The vicarage to left (south-west) heavily restored and has porch with stepped gable and moulded four centred arch, it is a two storey two window range with large late c19 moulded wood mullion windows, the ground floor with dripmoulds. The north-east end (brerewood house) is l-shaped with hipped roof wing and large gabled wing with stepped moulded parapet and moulded stone mullion window with four four-centred arch lights and dripmould, above a moulded four-centred arch doorway with carved arms of bishop veysey above. Rebuilt brick end chimney stacks. Red brick early c20 wing at rear (doe).


Unknown, 1970 - 1999, Untitled Source (Ground Photograph). SDV344605.


Fisher, J., 1999, East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Colyton, 6, 12 (Report - non-specific). SDV346548.

The former Vicarage and Brerewood House together were built in 1529 by Dr Thomas Brerewood, Chancellor to Bishop Veysey, and referred to by Leland as "a fair house". Other details: Maps, photographs.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Ground Photograph: Unknown. 1970 - 1999. Conservation Section Photograph Collection. Photograph (Paper).
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
  • Report - non-specific: Fisher, J.. 1999. East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Colyton. East Devon District Council. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6, 12.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 11 2011 3:49PM