HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV113617
Name:Farm buildings at Byland, Ashburton

Summary

Barn and linhey dating to the 18th century. Farmstead itself dates back to at least the early 17th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 746 706
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARN (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1799 AD (Between))
  • LINHAY (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Almost rectangular group of building shown on 19th century Tithe Map with a small yard in the centre and an opening on the south-west side.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Byland' shown on 19th century map as a U-shaped group of buildings around an enclosed yard to the north of the road.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Byland' shown on early 20th century map with a track around the eastern side of the buildings.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Dwelling depicted on modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

'Byland' a courtyard of farm buildings incorporating barn and linhays. 18th century of stone rubble, with 20th century weatherboarding to linhay elevations facing yard. Hipped roofs covered with corrugated iron. Courtyard plan with linhays on south-west sides of seven bays, enclosing wall to south-east side and eight-bay threshing barn with southern outshut to north-east side. One storey with loft. Timber lintels over wide doorways on south-west and north-east sides, both providing access to central yard. Courtyard elevations have monolithic granite posts to linhays. 18th century collar truss roofs with face-pegged collars and halved and pegged apexes: linhay to south-west side has jointed crucks to principals facing yard.
History: 'Byland' seems to have originated as a farmstead, and is shown with a house on an Ashburton map of 1605. In 1840 the Tithe Map Apportionment referred to it simply as' Court Field and Barn' and the Tithe Map shows it in its present form as an outfarm. A good example of a complete 18th century courtyard group of farm buildings.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #72958 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV8035Part of: Byland Farmstead, Ashburton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 21 2015 10:59AM