HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV114017
Name:The Old Rectory, Gidleigh


House dates to the late 16th century, and was accommodation for the parish parson and farmer's family until 1891, when the new Rectory was completed. Has undergone a number of alterations.


Grid Reference:SX 665 884
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishGidleigh
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishGIDLEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (XVI to XIX - 1590 AD to 1891 AD (Between))
  • HOUSE (XIX - 1891 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Depicted on the Tithe Map; at this time the farm included further buildings to the south and south-west of the farmhouse.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Similar depiction to the Tithe Map; the additional buildings are no longer shown.

Grumley-Grennan, T. + Hardy, M., 2000, Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present, 107, 111-113 (Monograph). SDV359347.

First part of the house dates to around 1590 and was constructed in several stages; a later one being in 1800. The modern extension to the east was built by Howard Skewes in the 1920s. It was probably never a longhouse but was built to house a parson and probably a farmer and his family. The barn at the side of the house abuts the oldest part of the building and is thought to have contained an early shippon at one end and a room for a farm labourer at the end closest to the house.
The chamber above the kitchen has a separate internal stone staircase which at one time would have lead directly outside and enabled the farmer or farm workers to have separate access to their living area.
The parson, William Downe took over the property in 1625 and was succeeded in 1628 by Humphrey Gaye, who wrote a terrier in 1679 listing all the property belonging to the parish of Gidleigh, providing the only contemporary description of a house and contents in the village in the 17th century.
(Details of the parsons provided from the 17th century through to late 19th century). After the rectors moved to the new Rectory in 1891, the house became known simply as Glebe Farm. (Details of ownership up to the present provided).

Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

The modern map shows the house, which is unevenly shaped; presumably due to the past alterations.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #73367 ]
SDV359347Monograph: Grumley-Grennan, T. + Hardy, M.. 2000. Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present. Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present. Hardback Volume. 107, 111-113.

Associated Monuments

MDV107208Part of: Glebe farm, Gidleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Nov 29 2019 3:05PM