HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV114030
Name:Gidleigh Cottage, Gidleigh

Summary

Cottage (originally two dwellings), was built around 1650 and remained part of the Gidleigh estate for much of its history. Owned and occupied separately until the 1950s when both cottages and land were purchased together. Used to have a large beech standing close by, used as the village noticeboard.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 671 884
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishGidleigh
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishGIDLEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (XVII - 1650 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Depicted on the Tithe Map; 340 on the apportionment.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Two cottages are shown on the late 19th century historic map.


Grumley-Grennan, T. + Hardy, M., 2000, Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present, 40-41 (Monograph). SDV359347.

Gidleigh Cottage was built around 1650 and remained part of the Gidleigh estate for much of its history. Was originally two semi-detached thatched cottages which, together with the Castle and the Barton, formed the entire village of 'Gidleigh Town'. In a document dating to 1870, one of cottages is said to have functioned as the post office; the other was home to the parish clerk.
A number of owners mentioned from 19th and 20th centuries. In the 1950s both cottages were purchased with seven acres of land and the dwellings appear to have been combined since then.
There used to be a giant beech tree beside the house which was used as the village noticeboard for generations until it became diseased and had to be felled. Rumour has it a Chagford sheep rustler was once hung from the tree.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Gidleigh Cottage is depicted on the modern mapping. Has been extended to the rear (eastern side).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359347Monograph: Grumley-Grennan, T. + Hardy, M.. 2000. Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present. Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present. Hardback Volume. 40-41.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #73375 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV114031Related to: Beech tree beside Gidleigh Cottage (Monument)
MDV6128Related to: Church of the Holy Trinity, Gidleigh (Building)
MDV113181Related to: Gidleigh Barton Farm (Monument)
MDV6131Related to: Gidleigh Castle (Monument)
MDV114032Related to: Way Cottage, Gidleigh (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 4 2016 4:11PM