HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV114356
Name:Shaft Pit West of Lumburn

Summary

Mine shaft visible on aerial photographs as a circular earthwork pit west of Lumburn is part of North Crebor Mine, started in 1815 when a copper lode was discovered in 1815 at the north end of the lower pound of the Collateral Cut canal branch. Mine was ultimately unsuccessful.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 455 729
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MINE SHAFT (XIX to Unknown - 1815 AD (Post))

Full description

Cornwall Archaeological Unit, 2001-2002, Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme Transcriptions and Database Records, RAF/CPE/UK/2149/3143-4 (Interpretation). SDV346287.

Transcriptions of an earthwork pit, possibly a mine shaft visible on aerial photographs RAF/CPE/UK/2149/3143-4 corresponds with a database record of a mine shaft west of Lumburn.


Hegarty, C., Knight, S. and Sims, R., 2016, Backlog Recording of the Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme Survey (Personal Comment). SDV359374.

The aerial photograph reference given in the Tamar Valley NMP transcription attributes is incomplete; the date of the photograph is not included.


Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 176-7, 333, figs 6.28, 10.30 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Shaft of North Wheal Crebor; an unsuccessful mine started when a copper lode was discovered in 1814 at the north end of the lower pound of the Collateral Cut canal branch to Mill Hill Mines. This part of the cut may date to 1815 as a means of carrying away the mine's produce.
Shaft and an adit are shown on the 1867 Estate Map, the mine was trialled in earnest between 1821-28 by the Canal Company and a waterwheel was re-erected near the adit tail of North Wheal Crebor in the early 1820s. Abandoned in 1828, it appears to have been worked between 1829-1839 by the Tavistock Consolidated Mines Adventurers.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346287Interpretation: Cornwall Archaeological Unit. 2001-2002. Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme Transcriptions and Database Records. National Mapping Programme. Map (Digital). RAF/CPE/UK/2149/3143-4. [Mapped feature: #73694 ]
SDV359374Personal Comment: Hegarty, C., Knight, S. and Sims, R.. 2016. Backlog Recording of the Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme Survey. Not Applicable.
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 176-7, 333, figs 6.28, 10.30.

Associated Monuments

MDV18721Related to: Mill Hill Cut Canal Branch to Millhill Quarry (Monument)
MDV123286Related to: North Crebor Mine Adit (Monument)
MDV114428Related to: Shafts at Wheal Crebor House (Monument)
MDV123232Related to: Tavistock Canal, Main record (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6911 - Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme

Date Last Edited:Nov 1 2018 7:38PM