HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV11437
Name:Medieval Wall, Axminster.

Summary

Wall, Medieval in origin. Now a kitchen garden wall. The Bishop of Stafford licensed a private chapel in 1417 and this wall probably incorporates some of the remains.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 308 998
Map Sheet:SY39NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAxminster
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishAXMINSTER

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY39NW/2/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • GARDEN WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, SY39NW2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV124411.

Other details: Plan.


Untitled Source, 308 (Migrated Record). SDV15340.

Only a few windows survive in a garden wall.


Oliver, G., 1840, Ecclesiastical Antiquities in Devon, 47 (Monograph). SDV35446.

Other details: Revised Edition.


Wilkin, W. H., 1932 - 1933, Old Windows at Axminster, 279 (Article in Serial). SDV124412.


Wilkin, W. H., 1935, Axminster notes, 309 (Article in Serial). SDV124406.

Licence granted 1417 to Thomas Brock for a chapel "infra mansionem suam de wycroft". Chapel has completely disappeared, but three windows, one lancet, the others square-headed are in the garden wall which divides the two houses. In a poor state. Near the wall is a doorway with pointed arch, original location unknown.


Ordnance Survey, 1957, Untitled Source (Site Visit). SDV124409.

Unable to locate chapel.


Department of Environment, 1960, Axminster RD, 3 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV124474.

Included with Weycroft Hall. Remains of chapel with 3 light window.


Delderfield, E., 1976, Untitled Source, 27 (Article in Serial). SDV124473.

Chapel at Weycroft. An oratory or chapel attached for which a licence granted 1417 (citing Polwhele). Sited midway between Weycroft Manor and Weycroft Hall; remains of chapel with walls still standing, blocked doors, windows and niches. Other details: DCRA Scrapbook 2.


Department of Environment, 1983, Axminster, 28 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV117703.

Garden Wall immediately South South West of Weycroft Hall. Medieval origin. Now a kitchen garden wall. Stone rubble with some blocked arched windows and arched entrance. The Bishop of Stafford licensed a private chapel in 1417 and this wall probably incorporates some of the remains.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV117703List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1983. Axminster. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 28.
SDV124406Article in Serial: Wilkin, W. H.. 1935. Axminster notes. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 67. 309.
SDV124409Site Visit: Ordnance Survey. 1957.
SDV124411Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey. SY39NW2. OSA.
SDV124412Article in Serial: Wilkin, W. H.. 1932 - 1933. Old Windows at Axminster. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 17. A4 Hardback. 279.
SDV124473Article in Serial: Delderfield, E.. 1976. Western Morning News. 27.
SDV124474List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Axminster RD. Historic Houses Register. 3.
SDV15340Migrated Record: 308.
SDV35446Monograph: Oliver, G.. 1840. Ecclesiastical Antiquities in Devon. Ecclesiastical Antiquities in Devon. Vol 2. Unknown. 47.

Associated Monuments

MDV11436Part of: Weycroft Manor House (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 29 2009 7:50AM