HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV114511
Name:Dartmoor Prison: F and G Wing cell blocks

Summary

A prison wing of 1809 remodelled before 1885 by Colonel AB McHardy, extended with a six storey prison wing between 1901 and 1904/5 to designs by Alten Beamish, with later alterations. F Wing is built in granite stone rubble with granite stone ashlar dressings, with squared granite stone rubble to the ablution wings. G Wing is built in squared granite stone rubble with granite ashlar dressings. The pitched roofs with rows of skylights set into the slope are now covered in corrugated metal, replacing slate tiles. Each wing has two tall ventilation chimneys set into the roof.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 586 741
Map Sheet:SX57SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CELL BLOCK (XIX - 1809 AD to 1885 AD (Between))

Full description

Brodie, A., 2015, Devon, Lydford, Princetown, HMP Dartmoor (Report - Assessment). SDV359840.


Historic England, 2016, H M Prison Dartmoor: F and G Wings (Cartographic). SDV359439.

Area of listing depicted on map.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

A prison wing of 1809 remodelled before 1885 by Colonel AB McHardy, extended with a six storey prison wing between 1901 and 1904/5 to designs by Alten Beamish, with later alterations.
F Wing is one of the original prisoners of war blocks completed by 1809, then comprising two storeys plus a cockloft. From 1850 it was used to house convicts. By 1885 it had been re-modelled by Colonel AB McHardy to become a conventional cell block with 32 cell sections and ablution towers. A plan of the prison of c1900 and a photograph held in Dartmoor Prison Museum, show that it had exercise yards (now no longer there) to either side of the building. Joy states that in 1971 a new roof was fitted and that all original timbers were removed (Dartmoor Prison vol 1, p 25).
G Wing was built as a six storey extension to F Wing between 1901 and 1904/5 to designs by Alten Beamish, Surveyor of Prisons (drawings held in the Ministry of Justice Archive).
Details
A prison wing of 1809 remodelled before 1885 by Colonel AB McHardy, extended with a six storey prison wing between 1901 and 1904/5 to designs by Alten Beamish, with later alterations.
MATERIALS: F Wing is built in granite stone rubble with granite stone ashlar dressings, with squared granite stone rubble to the ablution wings. G Wing is built in squared granite stone rubble with granite ashlar dressings. The pitched roofs with rows of skylights set into the slope are now covered in corrugated metal, replacing slate tiles. Each wing has two tall ventilation chimneys set into the roof.
PLAN: F Wing has a rectangular plan with rows of individual cells over two levels with a central atrium. G Wing has a rectangular plan with projecting ablution towers and rows of cells over five levels with a central atrium. G Wing has tall projecting ablution towers. F Wing has one projecting ablution wing attached to the east elevation, added later. Attached to the west elevation, where both wings meet, is a single storey lean-to, added in the late C20.
EXTERIOR: F Wing is two storeys high and 17 bays wide. Each bay has a small window opening with later casement window and vertical metal grille all of equal size. G Wing is five storeys high with a basement. Both side elevations have 19 bays, including tall projecting ablution towers with decorative gables to either side. At basement level there are some blocked arches with the floors above having rows of small openings of equal size with later casement windows and vertical metal grilles. The two end gables have tripartite windows lighting the top galleries with an entrance at its south gable end which is now linked to a late C20 covered walkway leading to the central kitchen block.
INTERIOR: F Wing retains its gallery which is carried on small gothic style cast-iron brackets. The roof has an iron frame and is timber clad. Larger more elaborate brackets survive at the south end of the block. Internal lay out survives mostly intact but most prison doors have been replaced. Although the internal layout of G Wing survives mostly intact too, it has been entirely modernised with new metal work, new doors, new windows and in-cell sanitation.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV359439Cartographic: Historic England. 2016. H M Prison Dartmoor: F and G Wings. Listing Amendment Map. Digital. [Mapped feature: #73853 ]
SDV359840Report - Assessment: Brodie, A.. 2015. Devon, Lydford, Princetown, HMP Dartmoor. Historic England. A4 Comb Bound + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV15309Part of: Dartmoor Prison, Princetown (Building)
MDV114503Related to: Dartmoor Prison: A and B Wing cell blocks (Building)
MDV114508Related to: Dartmoor Prison: E Wing cell block (Building)
MDV114512Related to: Dartmoor Prison: Former Chapel and Service Building Complex (Building)
MDV114499Related to: Dartmoor Prison: section of wall enclosing the former marketplace (Monument)
MDV114510Related to: Dartmoor Prison: the Old Kitchen (Building)
MDV114502Related to: Dartmoor Prison; Former Petty Officers' Block (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7115 - Assessment of the buildings at Princetown Prison, Dartmoor

Date Last Edited:Nov 1 2016 10:21AM