HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV114634
Name:The Royal Standard, Blackdown


Inn is thought to be around 300 years old and was originally the end cottage in a row of miners' cottages. Depicted on the Tithe Map as a narrow rectangular structure, the late 19th century historic map first depicts the pub as the Royal Standard. The inn was originally called the Blackdown Inn but changed it's name after hosting a royal visitor overnight during the 19th century.


Grid Reference:SX 502 798
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMary Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMARY TAVY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WORKERS COTTAGE (Constructed, XVIII - 1750 AD to 1799 AD (Between))
  • PUBLIC HOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Depicted on the Mary Tavy Tithe Map as a narrow rectangular building at the eastern end of row of at least four properties (Standard Court). It's unclear whether this was a public house at the time but it does not appear to be separately listed in the apportionment, so may have been part of the row of dwellings.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map shows the building depicted as the 'Royal Standard (public house)' for the first time.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Early 20th century historic map appears unchanged from the late 19th century historic map depiction.

Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 99-100 (Monograph). SDV359976.

Inn is approximately 300 years old. It started as the end cottage in a row of miners' cottages, when two of the miners from the nearby Wheal Betsy mine turned it into a beer house, with a single bar, selling ale from a couple of beer barrels in the corner of the room. Around the turn of the century, the middle section of the bar was built along the length of the building with the final section added eleven years ago. Originally called the Blackdown Inn but apparently played host to a young prince for one night during the past century, after which it changed its name to the Royal Standard.

Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

The modern mapping shows the pub has been increased in size dramatically in the 20th century, extending it on the south side.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #73963 ]
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 99-100.

Associated Monuments

MDV114630Related to: 1-2 Moorside, Blackdown (Building)
MDV114631Related to: Building north of the Royal Standard, Blackdown (Building)
MDV114632Related to: Homeleigh, Blackdown (Building)
MDV107696Related to: Monrovia, Blackdown (Building)
MDV71996Related to: Roadside milestone at Blackdown (Monument)
MDV114633Related to: Standard Court, Blackdown (Building)
MDV114638Related to: The Stannary, Blackdown (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jan 24 2017 3:16PM