HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV114754
Name:The Royal Oak Inn, Dunsford


Inn is thought to date to the 15th century and was built as accommodation for masons building the church. Part of the Fulford estate and named by Sir Francis Fulford, a staunch Royalist. Depicted on the Tithe Map, it was destroyed by fire in 1887 and rebuilt soon afterwards. Operated until 1960 as part of a farm and several farm buildings (stables, cow shed, barn etc.) have been converted into dwellings.


Grid Reference:SX 812 891
Map Sheet:SX88NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDunsford
Ecclesiastical ParishDUNSFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building is depicted on the Tithe Map.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The Royal Oak (public house) is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Public house is depicted on the early 19th century historic map.

Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 103-4 (Monograph). SDV359976.

The Royal Oak in Dunsford was built in the 15th century, housing the stonemasons working on the nearby church of St Mary. The inn was part of Fulford Estate, as was most of Dunsford at one time; Sir Francis Fulford was a staunch Royalist supporter and it was he who gave the inn its name. The original inn, which had thick cob walls and a thatched roof, was destroyed by fire in 1887 and it was rebuilt shortly afterwards and remained part of the estate until 1954, when it was sold to St Anne's Brewery. It is built on a split level, comprising a lounge bar with an exposed stone fireplace, public bar and dining room on the upper level. On the lower level is the games room.at the rear of the building are five on-suite rooms that have been converted from an old barn and stables. At one time, and up to 1960, the inn was combined with a farm. The two cottages adjoining the inn's carpark were once the cow shed with a hayloft above.

Dartmoor National Park Authority, 2011, Dunsford Conservation Area Character Appraisal, 19, figure 14-15 (Report - Assessment). SDV359494.

The Royal Oak Inn: Unlisted
By virtue of its position on a kink in the main street next to the church and closing the view at the top of Briton Street Lane, this is a key building. The complexity of plan and elevation create interest in views from all angles. Although its exposed local stone with brick dressings is a unique combination in Dunsford, it is a memorable and distinctive part of the village. As the local inn it is also an integral part of the community.

Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #74086 ]
SDV359494Report - Assessment: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 2011. Dunsford Conservation Area Character Appraisal. Dartmoor National Park Authority. Digital. 19, figure 14-15.
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 103-4.

Associated Monuments

MDV9465Related to: Church of St. Mary, Dunsford (Building)
MDV37132Related to: Cottage adjoining Dymonds Cottage, Dunsford (Building)
MDV37131Related to: Dymond Cottage, Dunsford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jan 24 2017 3:41PM