HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV11518
Name:Ellishayes Farmhouse, Ellishayes Farm


A circa early 17th century farmhouse with late 20th century alterations.


Grid Reference:ST 156 036
Map Sheet:ST10SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCombe Raleigh
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCOMBE RALEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST10SE/22
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII to XX - 1601 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV104560.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV104561.

Pevsner, n. /buildings of england, s. Devon/(1952)183.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV104562.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Ellishayes porch dated 1626, mullioned windows(pevsner). A 16th century 2-storey farmhouse.(doe). Vis=11/11/1975 (os). Ellishayes, an outstanding 16th/17th century house with four-light mullioned windows and a well preserved porch. The chimney stacks are of brick (os).

Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH101H (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

No information supplied.

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Ellishayes Farmhouse.

Farmhouse. Circa early 17th century with substantial late 20th century alterations. Stone rubble; slate roof, gabled at ends; 2 axial stacks, left end stack, rear lateral stack. Plan: Overall U plan, a single depth main range, 4 rooms wide with an approximately central 2-storey porch into the cross passage. High quality features at both ends of the house: to the left of the passage a heated room, stack backing on to passage with 2 service rooms at the left end (the left end stack is probably secondary). The right hand end of the range consists of a small heated room (not seen at time of survey), and an extremely large high quality parlour, lit by large transomed window in the right end wall. The rear right wing is a converted agricultural building; the rear left wing may have been a service wing. Extensive 20th century alterations have included some re-partitioning at the left end and a replacement stair rising against the rear right wall with access from the cross passage. Exterior: 2 storeys; built across the slope of the land giving 3 storeys at the right end. Impressive, almost symmetrical 4 window front with regular fenestration and a 2 storey gabled porch in the centre with a coped gable with a finial and a moulded Tudor arched arch doorframe with carved spandrels, the jambs and lintel with shallow carving. Fine timber inner door, panelled, with studs with a good doorframe, the datestone over the outer doorway now illegible but said to be 1620s (old list description). Good set of 17th century ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, 3-light to the porch, otherwise 4-light, the 2 ground floor windows to the right of the porch with hoodmoulds. The right return of the main range, which has an extra room below the ground floor with a blocked 3-light mullioned window, has a fine 6-light transomed ground floor window with a king mullion and a hoodmould; 4-light mullioned first floor window above. Interior: In spite of 20th century alterations a number of interesting features survive. The ground floor right hand room has a good moulded ashlar Beerstone chimney-piece with splayed jambs to the lateral stack. Round the right end window the remains of a plaster frieze of winged horses survives and there is an ornamental plaster ceiling to the window recess. It is likely that this room had one of the "fine plaster ceilings" taken down before 1950 (old list description). The first floor room above also has a good stone fireplace, the remains of decorated plasterwork, including shields, on the right end wall and 17th century ovolo-moulded stopped timber doorframe. The left side partition of the cross passage has a timber chamfered doorframe with a Tudor arch. The room to the left has been re-partitioned but retains exposed ceiling beams, a fine plank and muntin screen with ovolo-moulded muntins to the rear and another similar screen to the left including a good doorframe and door which now leads into a stair cell to the rear left. The front left room has a blocked 17th century doorframe on its rear wall; it was originally only accessible from the room behind it. The axial stack has been altered but may retain its original lintel and jambs. Roof: 20th century replacement. According to Polwhele Ellishayes was "sold .... to Hugh Crossing, alderman of Exeter, whose only son Francis built there a good house, called Ellis's; fit for a free heart to entertain his friends", (The History of Devonshire (first edition. 1793), p. 329.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV104560Migrated Record:
SDV104561Migrated Record:
SDV104562Migrated Record:
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH101H.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #74491 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV104634Part of: Ellishayes Farm, Combe Raleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 30 2013 3:25PM