HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV115435
Name:Semi-circular Feature on Brent Hill, South Brent

Summary

Semi-circular feature visible on aerial photographs within the Prehistoric hillfort on Brent Hill

Location

Grid Reference:SX 703 617
Map Sheet:SX76SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • DITCH (Early Iron Age to Late Medieval - 700 BC? to 1539 AD? (Between))

Full description

Bennett, R., 2009, Airborne Remote Sensing Analysis - Brent Hill, Appendix 3, Page 19 (Report - Survey). SDV359640.

Potential semi-circular ditch feature possibly viewed on aerial photograph.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Possible feature visible on aerial photograph.


Environment Agency, 2011, LIDAR data JPEG images (2 metre resolution) (Cartographic). SDV348634.

Semi-circular feature visible on north side of hillfort.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, 1002662 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

This monument includes a slight univallate hillfort with outworks, hut circle platforms and beacon situated at the summit of the prominent Brent Hill. The hillfort survives as an irregularly shaped enclosure surrounding the summit of a naturally steep and rocky hillside which is further enhanced by a partial rampart and ditch. There is an extension to the rampart circuit on the south western side where natural defences are weaker and to the south east a second outwork in the form of a short length of outer rampart and partially buried ditch connects with steeper natural slopes to the north-west and south-east. The artificial ramparts are best preserved to the south and attain an overall maximum width of approximately 9 metres. The original entrance is to the north-east where the outwork adds additional protection. The circuit of the rampart is defined almost through out its entire length by a later field boundary which overlies it. Within the enclosure are the circular platforms of up to three huts which vary in size from 8 metres to 11 metres in diameter. There is also a faint rectangular earthwork immediately east of the chapel which survives as a rectangular ditch with an external bank enclosing an area measuring approximately 12 metres long by 10 metres wide. The summit of the hill is a well documented beacon site and it is named ‘Brent Beacon’ on Ogilby’s map of 1675, Donn’s Map and Cary’s map. Dartington churchwardens’ accounts of 1591, 1628 and 1690 list parish contributions for the upkeep of the beacon and the 1591 entry includes items paid for the construction of a house for the watchman. The rectangular structure is often interpreted as this house.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV348634Cartographic: Environment Agency. 2011. LIDAR data JPEG images (2 metre resolution). Digital. [Mapped feature: #74769 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1002662.
SDV359640Report - Survey: Bennett, R.. 2009. Airborne Remote Sensing Analysis - Brent Hill. Appendix 3, Page 19.

Associated Monuments

MDV7957Part of: Hillfort on Brent Hill, South Brent (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 16 2016 4:24PM