HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV11572
Name:Livenhayes Farmhouse, Yarcombe

Summary

A 17th century or earlier farmhouse.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 238 073
Map Sheet:ST20NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishYarcombe
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishYARCOMBE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST20NW/8
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI - 1501 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Unattributed, Livenhayes Farm, BH218014 (Ground Photograph). SDV354477.


Unattributed, Livenhayes Farm, BH218021-BH218022 (Un-published). SDV354478.


ALCOCK, 1983, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV103746.

Livehayne farm now livenhayes. Vis=est -/-/1949 (mhlg) 17th century or earlier. Rubble with hipped thatched roof. Vis=18/8/1960 (os) two storey plaster patched rubble building with two stone chimneys dated 1662. A two-light wood mullioned window in west end and another small wooden window in north side both possibly original. House centrally divided by north-south through passageway the east side of which is of stud and panel. Ceiling beams in eastern part of house are typical of 17th century. East half of house is 17th century but west might be earlier. Vis=-/-/1977 (alcock). A late medieval house with original jettied solar with ladder access to door in face of partition truss. Modernised in 16th century - kitchen end improved 1662, with fireplace and ?smoking chamber (worksheet). Vis=jointed cruck recorded (alcock). Vis=probably home of william leve (1333). Vis=documented in xv (pnd). Vis=record of lower liverhayes deposited in nmr (timms). Vis=farmhouse. Probably early c16 with major later and c17 improvements (the kitchen refurbishment is dated 1662), some c19 modernisation. Local stone and flint rubble; stone rubble stacks and beerstone ashlar chimneyshafts; thatch roof, slate to rear outshots. Vis=plan and development: 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south and built down the hillslope. Uphill at the left (west) end is an unheated inner room which is still used as a dairy. Next to it is the hall with an axial stack backing onto the passage. Downhill at the right (east) end is the kitchen with a gable-end stack. Vis=the roofspace is inaccessible and therefore the early structural history of the house cannot be ascertained. It certainly began as some form of open hall house and was probably heated by an open hearth fire. The owner reports that the thatcher noticed some smoke-blackened timbers in the roof. The chamber over the inner room dairy jetties into the upper end of the hall. It may well be an original feature and the doorway in the face of the partition is thought to have been for a ladder access to the chamber from the hall. The hall stack was probably inserted in the mid or late c16 and the hall was floored in the late c16 - early c17. The service end was thoroughly refurbished to provide a kitchen in 1662 by samuel newbury according to a plaque in the chimneyshaft. Vis=the house is 2 storeys with secondary outshots to rear of the hall, passage and kitchen. Vis=exterior: irregular 4-window front. Most are probably early c19 casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass but the kitchen has a replacement casement with glazing bars. The dairy window is unglazed, covered with metal gauze and has internal shutters. The other dairy windows are similar and that in the end wall is probably c17; 2 lights with chamfered mullion. The first floor windows rise a short distance into the eaves. The passage front doorway is right of centre and contains a c19 part-glazed plank door behind a contemporary gabled hood on shaped raking struts and is now argumented by a pair of timber posts. The front wall is propped by a couple of c19 raking buttresses. The roof is half-hipped to left and gable-ended to right. Vis=good interior: the dairy has a plain chamfered crossbeam. The partition between the dairy and hall is plastered over but is evidently oak-framed. The hall has high quality carpentry detail. The fireplace is blocked by a c19 grate but its large size is evident and a fine overmantel is exposed carved out of the oak lintel; it is moulded with an embattled crest. The ceiling is 6-panel of richly-moulded intersecting beams and abuts the internal jetty at the upper end. The features of the kitchen end all date from 1662. Along the lower (kitchen) side of the passage is an oak plank-and-muntin screen. On the kitchen side the muntins are chamfered with step stops over an oak bench. The crossbeam is chamfered with scroll stops. The large kitchen fireplace is painted stone ashlar with an oak lintel and low tudor-arch head with a chamfered surround. The large oven with cast iron door was rebuilt in the c19. The lintel is continued across a cupboard to right. This was originally a walk-in curing chamber with an arched head cut into the lintel (this is now hidden). Vis=on the first floor the partition of the original jettied chamber is a closed truss including an oak plank-and-muntin screen which includes the ladder access doorway; a 2-centred arch with moulded surround. The rest of the roof is carried on jointed cruck trusses, one of which is plastered over. Without access to the roofspace it is not possible to ascertain whether the trusses are all contemporary. Vis=livenhayes is a particularly good example of a late medieval farmhouse which was modernised in the c16 and c17 to an unusually high standard (doe, 1988). Vis=in first phase was medieval 3-unit house with an original solar over inner room. Hall ceiled and fireplace inserted early 16c, woodwork being heavily moulded and of very high quality. Third room only improved in 1662 when a dated chimney added for a kitchen; this is probably also the date for the upper floor. Quality of hall suggests some at least of the service cooking took place elsewhere (alcock, 1983).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV103747.

Osa=st20nw8/photograph.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV103748.

Des=mhlg. Prov. List 2156/11/a.(july 1950)49.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV103750.

Alcock, n. W. /cruck construction(cba res rep 42)/(1981)112.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV103751.

Des=timms, s. /list of devon buildings in nmr recorded buildings index, london/(19/12/1983)/in smr.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV103752.

Doe/hhr:yarcombe/(16/3/1988)130.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV103753.

Alcock, n. W. /vernacular architecture/14(1983)47.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV103754.

Alcock, n. W. + currie, c. R. J. /vernacular architecture/20(1989).


Pearce, N., 1977, Med. House (Worksheet). SDV103749.

Des=worksheet(pearce, n. ).


Clements, H. A., 1994, Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills, Annotated plan (Report - Survey). SDV344050.

16th/17th century farmhouse.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH218H (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

No information supplied.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Livenhayes Farmhouse (formerly listed as Livehayne).

Farmhouse. Probably early 16th century with major later and 17th century improvements (the kitchen refurbishment is dated 1662), some 19th century modernisation. Local stone and flint rubble; stone rubble stacks and Beerstone ashlar chimneyshafts; thatch roof, slate to rear outshots.

Plan and development: 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south and built down the hillslope. Uphill at the left (west) end is an unheated inner room which is still used as a dairy. Next to it is the hall with an axial stack backing onto the passage. Downhill at the right (east) end is the kitchen with a gable-end stack. The roofspace is inaccessible and therefore the early structural history of the house cannot be ascertained. It certainly began as some form of open hall house and was probably heated by an open hearth fire. The owner reports that the thatcher noticed some smoke-blackened timbers in the roof. The chamber over the inner room dairy jetties into the upper end of the hall. It may well be an original feature and the doorway in the face of the partition is thought to have been for a ladder access to the chamber from the hall. The hall stack was probably inserted in the mid or late 16th century and the hall was floored in the late 16th century - early 17th century. The service end was thoroughly refurbished to provide a kitchen in 1662 by Samuel Newbury according to a plaque in the chimneyshaft. The house is 2 storeys with secondary outshots to rear of the hall, passage and kitchen.

Exterior: irregular 4-window front. Most are probably early 19th century casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass but the kitchen has a replacement casement with glazing bars. The dairy window is unglazed, covered with metal gauze and has internal shutters. The other dairy windows are similar and that in the end wall is probably 17th century; 2 lights with chamfered mullion. The first floor windows rise a short distance into the eaves. The passage front doorway is right of centre and contains a 19th century part-glazed plank door behind a contemporary gabled hood on shaped raking struts and is now augmented by a pair of timber posts. The front wall is propped by a couple of 19th century raking buttresses. The roof is half-hipped to left and gable-ended to right. Good interior: the dairy has a plain chamfered crossbeam. The partition between the dairy and hall is plastered over but is evidently oak-framed. The hall has high quality carpentry detail. The fireplace is blocked by a 19th century grate but its large size is evident and a fine overmantel is exposed carved out of the oak lintel; it is moulded with an embattled crest. The ceiling is 6-panel of richly-moulded intersecting beams and abuts the internal jetty at the upper end. The features of the kitchen end all date from 1662. Along the lower (kitchen) side of the passage is an oak plank-and-muntin screen. On the kitchen side the muntins are chamfered with step stops over an oak bench. The crossbeam is chamfered with scroll stops. The large kitchen fireplace is painted stone ashlar with an oak lintel and low Tudor-arch head with a chamfered surround. The large oven with cast iron door was rebuilt in the 19th century. The lintel is continued across a cupboard to right. This was originally a walk-in curing chamber with an arched head cut into the lintel (this is now hidden). On the first floor the partition of the original jettied chamber is a closed truss including an oak plank-and-muntin screen which includes the ladder access doorway; a 2-centred arch with moulded surround. The rest of the roof is carried on jointed cruck trusses, one of which is plastered over. Without access to the roofspace it is not possible to ascertain whether the trusses are all contemporary. Livenhayes is a particularly good example of a late medieval farmhouse which was modernised in the 16th century and 17th century to an unusually high standard.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV103746Report - Survey: ALCOCK, 1983.
SDV103747Migrated Record:
SDV103748Migrated Record:
SDV103749Worksheet: Pearce, N.. 1977. Med. House. Worksheet + Digital.
SDV103750Migrated Record:
SDV103751Migrated Record:
SDV103752Migrated Record:
SDV103753Migrated Record:
SDV103754Migrated Record:
SDV344050Report - Survey: Clements, H. A.. 1994. Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills. A4 Comb Bound + Digital. Annotated plan.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH218H.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV354477Ground Photograph: Unattributed. Livenhayes Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH218014.
SDV354478Un-published: Unattributed. Livenhayes Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH218021-BH218022.

Associated Monuments

MDV105450Part of: Livenhayes Farm, Yarcombe (Monument)
MDV82122Related to: Storehouse and Privy, Livenhayes Farm, Yarcombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4655 - Survey of Farmsteads in the Blackdown Hills

Date Last Edited:Apr 29 2015 9:46AM