HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1160
Name:Black Dog Cottage, Witheridge

Summary

Fifteenth- or 16th century house with 18th- and 19th century alterations. Formerly The Black Dog Inn.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 803 144
Map Sheet:SS81SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWitheridge
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWITHERIDGE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS81SW/7

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (XV to XIX - 1401 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Witheridge Historical Archive, Witheridge - "The Centuries in Words and Pictures": The Black Dog, Photo (Website). SDV358321.

The Black Dog was known as a rough cider pub, with a low ceiling. The interior consisted mainly of a big kitchen with several settles.
The pub closed around the end of the First World War, following police objections to renewal of the licence.
Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Inn' marked.


A. L. R., 1918-19, Black Dog in Heraldry, 160 (Article in Serial). SDV78533.


Brown, T., 1959, The Black Dog in Devon, 43 (Article in Serial). SDV78532.

Still the name of a house on The Square.


Google, 2014, Google Streetview (Website). SDV355684.

Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Map object based on this source.


Historic England, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV358087.

7 The Square, Black Dog Cottage. House, part now divided to form separate dwelling known as Wheelwrights Cottage. Perhaps C15, floored C16, C18 and C19 internal refitting and external refenstration. Rendered, colour-washed, straw-thatched roof with end gables, the corner of the building to the left is radiused including the thatched roof, colourwashed.
Plan and development: 3-room-and-through-passage plan, probably later with the through-passage removed, later used as an inn with what was probably the upper end room to the right used as a parlour.
Exterior: 2 storeys, 3 windows, small C19 casements with glazing bars. 2 door openings, to left with a very shallow lean-to porch with slate roof. Further door opening to right, both with plank doors. Interior: parlour to right with a very fine inserted C18 corner fireplace in a bolection-moulded wooden surround, fitted settles with panelled backs to each side, adjacent in this room a C18 fitted dresser. Chamfered ceiling beams on ground floor. The first floor and the roof were not inspected.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV355684Website: Google. 2014. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV358087National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV358321Website: Witheridge Historical Archive. Witheridge - "The Centuries in Words and Pictures": The Black Dog. http://www.witheridge-historical-archive.com/black-dog.htm. Website. Photo.
SDV78532Article in Serial: Brown, T.. 1959. The Black Dog in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 91. A5 Hardback. 43.
SDV78533Article in Serial: A. L. R.. 1918-19. Black Dog in Heraldry. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 10. Unknown. 160.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 14 2015 1:32PM