HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV116438
Name:Relict Field Boundary south of Brays Farm, Dalwood

Summary

A probable relict field boundary of likely medieval origin is visible as a curvilinear earthwork bank on images derived from lidar data captured between 1998 and 2014.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 265 007
Map Sheet:ST20SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDalwood
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishKILMINGTON
Ecclesiastical ParishSTOCKLAND

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Medieval to XIX - 1066 AD to 1840 AD)

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

No field boundary is depicted in this exact location.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

No field boundary is depicted in this exact location.


Environment Agency, 1998-2014, LiDAR DTM data (1m resolution), LIDAR ST2500 Environment Agency DTM 01-JAN-1998 to 30-SEP-2014 (Cartographic). SDV359177.

A curvilinear earthwork bank is visible.


Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R., 2016-2018, The Blackdown Hills AONB and East Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project (Interpretation). SDV359463.

A curvilinear earthwork bank, up to 9 metres in width, is visible on images derived from lidar data captured between 1998 and 2014. It manifests in the same way as an adjacent earthwork that corresponds to a field boundary depicted on the historic mapping in an area that has been characterised as of medieval origin and based on strip fields. At its northern end it terminates at a kink in the field boundary depicted on the late-19th century map. It is interpreted as the relict remains of a medieval field boundary bank which went out of use by the mid-19th century.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359177Cartographic: Environment Agency. 1998-2014. LiDAR DTM data (1m resolution). Environment Agency LiDAR data. Digital. LIDAR ST2500 Environment Agency DTM 01-JAN-1998 to 30-SEP-2014. [Mapped feature: #75762 ]
SDV359463Interpretation: Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R.. 2016-2018. The Blackdown Hills AONB and East Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project. Historic England Research Report. Digital.
Linked documents:2

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7508 - The Blackdown Hills AONB and East Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme (NMP) project (Ref: ACD1228)

Date Last Edited:Mar 20 2018 1:07PM