HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV11718
Name:Twinways, 56 Clovelly Road, Bideford

Summary

Tollhouse of probable early 19th century date.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 447 260
Map Sheet:SS42NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NW/7
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 375795

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TOLL HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SS42NW16 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV341141.


Sheldon, L., 1933, Devon Toll-Houses., 302, 306 (Article in Serial). SDV341560.


Department of Environment, 1973, Bideford Borough, 19 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV15283.

Twinaway Bungalow.
Toll-house, now bungalow. Probably early 19th century. Solid rendered walls. Hipped slate roof. 2 red-brick chimneys, symmetrically placed on ridge. Single-depth plan, 3 rooms wide. 1 storey.
Front consists of a large canted bay with doorway at the front and a window in each side, flanked by 2 further windows. Raised plinth, from which 4 pilaster-strips, 1 at each end and 2 flanking the bay, rise to a plain stringcourse just below the eaves. Flat-headed doorway with shaped cement surround; 4-panelled door. Windows round-headed, mostly with 6-paned wood casements having 2 radial bars in the head. Left-hand window differs in having a 9-paned fixed sash with 3 radial bars in the head. Moulded board below the eaves.


Timms, S. C., 1977-1981, Bideford Development Control Consultations, 23/9; Photo 336 (Un-published). SDV346164.

Visited 29th January 1979 by Simon Timms. Early 19th century toll house mentioned in Minchinton. Modern shop front on left. Proposed alteration of shop facilities and conversion of shop to bedroom. Other details: Photo.


Kanefsky, J., 1984, Devon Toll Houses, 28 (Pamphlet). SDV349663.

On the south side of Hartland Road, half a mile west of Bideford; a typical single storey tollhouse, now a grocer's shop with a display window to the left but the original window to the right of the angled front.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15283List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1973. Bideford Borough. Historic Houses Register. Website. 19.
SDV341141Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SS42NW16. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV341560Article in Serial: Sheldon, L.. 1933. Devon Toll-Houses.. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 65. A5 Hardback. 302, 306.
SDV346164Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1977-1981. Bideford Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound. 23/9; Photo 336.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #76492 ]
SDV349663Pamphlet: Kanefsky, J.. 1984. Devon Toll Houses. Exeter Industrial Archaeology Group. A5 Paperback. 28.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 2 2015 9:59AM