HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV117322
Name:Former School, Peter Tavy


Opened in 1865 for girls and infants, this replaced the old school which was demolished in 1870 (and the boys moved to this school). Used as the village school until 1959, now the village hall.


Grid Reference:SX 514 775
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishPeter Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPETER TAVY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (Constructed, XIX to XX - 1865 AD to 1959 AD (Between))
  • VILLAGE HALL (XX - 1959 AD to 1960 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'School' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Unchanged from the earlier historic map.

Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 14-19, photographs (Monograph). SDV359884.

Peter Tavy School was a two-roomed building opened in 1865 for girls and infants (the boys were still taught in the old school), the school cost £300 to build. Location of the old school is unclear (but a previous location of the school house was Church Cottage), but it was proposed to be demolished in 1870 as the new school was in place (the boys were then integrated into the new school). In the late 19th century village school were under pressure to become Board Schools but this was rejected by the Committee who voted to remain voluntary and independent. Details of School Masters and Mistresses given. In 1903 the Elementary Education Act took effect and the school came under the Devon Education Authority which saw a change in style towards formality and the Committee Minute Book of Peter Tavy became very correct. As with other Dartmoor schools, there was a lot of absenteeism, for the usual reasons of helping with faming chores as well as illness and bad weather.
In 1924 when Hillbridge school closed, those children were transported here. Major renovations took place in the mid-20th century after a large appeal raised funds to improve the school. The Mistress Miss Frances Docking (later Mrs Sleeman) was appointed in 1910 and was head until after the Second World War.
The school building was used for social functions and is the village hall today. The school finally closed in 1959.

Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'Hall' is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #76619 ]
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 14-19, photographs.

Associated Monuments

MDV117319Related to: The Old School House, Hillbridge (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Nov 11 2016 2:37PM