HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV117382
Name:The Old School House, Lower Dunstone

Summary

Built in 1833, a school had been run here since 1824, when the school at Venton ceased. A new building, with an attached house was run as a fee-paying school of 20 pupils until the 1890s. Originally single storied and thatched, it is now a slated, two-storied house.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 716 758
Map Sheet:SX77NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWidecombe in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1833 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building depicted on the Tithe Map may be the one that predated the purpose-built school building and house. Map shows a narrow building that appears slightly closer to the road. This predecessor was still used as a schoolroom however, from 1824 until 1833 when the new school was built.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

School building with attached house depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 72 (Monograph). SDV359884.

Built in 1833, a school had been run here since 1824, when the school at Venton ceased. A new building, with an attached house was run as a fee-paying school of 20 pupils until the 1890s when the last headmistress was Miss Roberts. Originally single storied and thatched.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

The 'Old School House' is depicted on the modern mapping.


Devon History Society, 2019, Early Victorian Schools, 15-16, 21-22 (Article in Serial). SDV363127.

Dunstone school is featured in this chapter examining the development of elementary education in rural Devon parishes, 1833-1870.
The Widecombe and Dartmoor Schools Charity had been founded in 1796 and provided support for a number of small schools. The 1833 Enquiry identified four daily schools in the parish; Dunstone, Widecombe town, Ponsworthy and Poundsgate. The small school at Dunstone appears to have closed in 1864, according to parish records.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #76682 ]
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 72.
SDV363127Article in Serial: Devon History Society. 2019. Early Victorian Schools. The Devon Historian. 88. Paperback Volume. 15-16, 21-22.

Associated Monuments

MDV7526Related to: Cross at Dunstone (Monument)
MDV15968Related to: Lower Dunstone Farmstead, Widecombe in the Moor (Monument)
MDV20776Related to: Lower Dunstone House / longhouse (Building)
MDV117357Related to: School at Venton, Widecombe in the Moor (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 22 2019 10:03AM