HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV11753
Name:Weach Barton


An ancient farmstead belonging to the Challacombe family


Grid Reference:SS 480 268
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWestleigh
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWESTLEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/41
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XI to XXI - 1001 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Vis=11/12/1953(os) stucco faced stone and cob building with thick walls, carved timber beams in interior and chimneys of stone appearing to be of considerable age. Windows and parts of roof are modern no architectural remains visible to suggest dating of the construction (os).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV242.

Weach barton was formerly known as ashridge. In domesday it was included in toritona, or torrington. Early descents given (reichel).

Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326889.

Barton with cob wall. Cob house. Re-built in early xix. Moulded beams in kitchen. Xvi. Small first floor room has plaster ceiling (doe).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV79752.

Weach barton. An ancient farmstead belonged to challacombe family and passed from last male heir to his half brother the greatgrandfather of j. M. Cutcliffe esq. Owner in 1903.

DOE 1986, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV79756.

Barton farmhouse. Probably early c16 origins, extended in c17 and remodelled in c19 with c20 alterations. Painted rendered stone and cob. Slate roof, part asbestos slate, part bitumenised with gable ends. Hipped slate roof to rear left wing. Axial rendered stack with tapered cap and brick stack at right end. Stone rubble stack to right-hand rear parlour wing. Three-sided rear courtyard plan. Front range: original plan obscured by loss of part of earlier range at left end and by c19 remodelling at right end. Axial stack heating possible former hall backs onto a through-passage with smaller rooms to left and beyond the hall to right, the latter containing staircase. Further wide entrance hall with staircase and room to right in the c19 remodelled range at right end. Rear parlour wing to right, lofted outbuilding, possibly originally cider house to rear left side, both at right angles to the front range with length of cob and stone rubble wall enclosing the rear courtyard. Two storeys.5-window range. Fenestration altered in late c20 except at right end which has tripartite sash of 12 panes with 4 paned sidelight. C19 porch canopy to left supported on moulded timber brackets. Panelled door, the upper half glazed with 4 panes. C20 porch and lean-to at left end. Rear wall continuing the former line of the front range to left and forming the gable end wall of the rear outbuilding contains a 3-light timber mullion window probably early c16 with semi-circular arched heads to the lights and decorative spandrels. Interior: thin chamfered and scroll-stopped fireplace lintel to axial stack. Rear parlour wing has fine c17 ceiling beam and bressumers with hollow - flanked-by-roll mouldings with run-out stops. One side of a c17 plaster ceiling survives to small chamber at head of stairs decorated with 5 small cartouches at spaced intervals. Roof structure principally c19 with pegged collars, but one probably early c17 roof truss survives over suggested hall with trenched purlins and thin cranked mortised and tenoned collar. No sign of smoke blackening. Although many of the windows on the front elevation are c20, the window openings have not been altered and therefore the house still has much of its c19 character. The rear however has been virtually unaltered since the c19 (doe 1986).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV79757.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV79758.

Reichel, o. J. /hundreds of devon/(1928-1938)513,515,520/the hundred of fremington in early times.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV79759.

Doe/hhr:barnstaple r. D. /(-/3/1960)53/provisional list.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV79760.


Sources / Further Reading

SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV242Migrated Record:
SDV326889Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV79752Migrated Record:
SDV79756Migrated Record: DOE 1986.
SDV79757Migrated Record:
SDV79758Migrated Record:
SDV79759Migrated Record:
SDV79760Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:May 4 2006 1:32PM