HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV117612
Name:Grenofen Viaduct, Buckland Monachorum

Summary

Now demolished. Grenofen viaduct was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and was erected between 1856 and 1859. The railway closed in 1962, after which the bridge was partially dismantled. It was finally demolished in 1965. Survey in 2009 in advance of the construction of a new cycle bridge over the River Walkham.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 495 705
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckland Monachorum
Civil ParishWhitchurch
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWHITCHURCH
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKLAND MONACHORUM

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VIADUCT (Constructed, XIX - 1856 AD to 1859 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Viaduct' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Unchanged from the late 19th century historic map. The south-east end of the viaduct on the historic map doesn't align particularly well with the modern mapping.


Rendell, P., 1996, Exploring the Lower Walkham Valley, 20-21 (Monograph). SDV361766.


Stead, P., 2011, Archaeological Recording at Grenofen Viaduct, Buckland Monachorum, Devon (Report - Watching Brief). SDV359915.

Grenofen viaduct was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and was erected between 1856 and 1859. The viaduct was constructed with masonry piers topped by a timber superstructure. It comprised 15 spans, each 66 feet wide, and two end spans 60 feet wide, and stood 132 feet above the river. The timber superstructure was replaced in 1910 with new brick piers and 6-ton granite bedstones supporting a metal latticework of girders. The railway closed in 1962, after which the bridge was partially dismantled. It was finally demolished in 1965 (citing Rendall 1996, 20-21).
Watching brief carried out in advance of the construction of a new cycle bridge over the river Walkham, near Tavistock. On the south side of the river the railway approached the viaduct in a cutting and then on a terrace before passing onto an embankment. This embankment still survives, incorporating masonry of one of the granite piers, and the remains of two small buildings. Below the embankment brick and stone debris (including several granite fragments) from the demolished piers are visible. On the north side of the river the end pier survives in-situ, and a number of bedstones are also present, two of which have been set into a landscaped bank on the alignment of the viaduct.
The new bridge is to be constructed at a lower level than the former viaduct and will be carried on four new piers. On the south bank the cycle track will drop from the existing railway level down to the new bridge, which will necessitate the lowering of the ground and partial removal of the embankment to the railway. On the north bank the ground level will be raised to allow the bridge to connect with the existing track.
Recording focused on the surviving remains of Grenofen viaduct, although nearby mine workings outside of the development area were noted and added to the existing topographical survey. A number of earthworks and
structures were found on both sides of the river. On the south side of the river these included the remains of two small buildings, a terrace, an embankment and the remains of four viaduct piers. On the west side of the river the only in-situ feature is the end pier, although the possible remains of a second pier were identified. Along the route of the existing cycleway a number of artefacts associated with the railway are evident. These include bedstones, other large granite blocks and two fragments of the metal latticework from the 1910 rebuilding of the viaduct. Mining remains included dressing floors, buddles, and a leat.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #76919 ]
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359915Report - Watching Brief: Stead, P.. 2011. Archaeological Recording at Grenofen Viaduct, Buckland Monachorum, Devon. Exeter Archaeology. 7122. Digital.
SDV361766Monograph: Rendell, P.. 1996. Exploring the Lower Walkham Valley. Exploring the Lower Walkham Valley. A5 Paperback. 20-21.

Associated Monuments

MDV52887Related to: STONE in the Parish of Whitchurch (Monument)
MDV22574Related to: Tavistock branch of the South Devon Railway (Tavistock to Yelverton) (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7141 - Watching brief at Grenofen Viaduct, Buckland Monachorum (Ref: 7122)

Date Last Edited:Sep 14 2018 11:22AM