HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV11778
Name:Landcross Mill


Also known as Kingdom's Mill. In existence by 1811, and operated until 1945. Present building incorporates the mill foundations and some walling.


Grid Reference:SS 453 234
Map Sheet:SS42SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLandcross
Ecclesiastical ParishLANDCROSS

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42SE/34

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MILL (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Untitled Source (Cartographic). SDV13178.

TA 137 House, Mill and Waste.

Ordnance Survey, 1905, 19SW (Cartographic). SDV8232.

'Landcross Mill' shown on OS 6" (1905) map.

Ordnance Survey, 1964, Untitled Source (Cartographic). SDV339898.

'Landcross Mill' shown on OS 6" (1964) map.

Meade, H. M., 1977, Untitled Source (Worksheet). SDV13172.

At river level; beside mill leat; isolated. Mill appears on 1840 Tithe Map, but there are no deeds extant and no evidence of date of original building. The Kingdom family were millers and farmers for several generations, working the mill until 1945. The original structure was demolished about 1960, and the present building incorporates the foundations and walls of the old mill. Still traces of lower window frames and huge front-door step. Photographs before and after demolition are preserved by the owner. Originally probably a small-holding of 50-60 acres, as barn and piggery still exist as well as shell of building which housed mill machinery. Mill and four related structures between the mill and the mill bridge marked on 1840 Tithe Map. A footbridge or weir is also marked adjacent to the mill. Course of leat clearly marked. Original course of river altered by the owners of the mill cleaning the leat annually, dumping the rubbish in the field and gradually pushing the banks of the river back. The banks of the old course are clearly visible.

University of the Third Age, 1995, Watermills in North Devon 1994, 65 (Monograph). SDV74915.

The mill house was demolished and a new building "Mill Cottage" erected in the 1960s. There were two overshot wheels, one either side of the mill, of which only parts of the walls remain, with a hole visible where the shaft of one wheel was positioned. One of the millstones is in the middle of the lawn. The leat is filled in. Water entered the leat from a weir (NGR 451231). Undulations in the lawn show where the leat returned the water to the river in front of where the new cottage now stands.
Edmonds has established that the mill was built by owners of Pillmouth estate for grinding corn, and that the tidal section of the Yeo was shuttered to maintain the channel. He says that in pictures of the mill it is possible to see 2ft oak plugs which were used to allow water to flow through at times of flood. He has been told that a false floor was lashed to the wall to enable work to continue during a flood.

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 43 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Described in 1811 as 'Capital Mills' consisting of 'oatmeal and flour mills' with a house, gardens, orchard and meadow. The mill door opened onto the navigable 'Rver Yeo'. By 1812 the mills had been rebuilt. Other details: 7.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 306 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

Other details: Draft Report.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV13172Worksheet: Meade, H. M.. 1977.
SDV13178Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Apportionment.
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 43.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 306.
SDV339898Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1964. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. Map (Paper).
SDV74915Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. Watermills in North Devon 1994. A5 Paperback. 65.
SDV8232Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 19SW. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).

Associated Monuments

MDV34095Related to: Landcross Mill Leat (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 10 2018 11:58AM