HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV11808
Name:Deserted Medieval settlement 750 metres south of White Hill summit, Peter Tavy

Summary

This monument includes a Medieval long house, outbuilding and associated farmyard situated on the lower south-south-east facing slope of White Hill overlooking the valley of the Willsworthy Brook. The long house survives as a rectangular two roomed building terraced into the hillslope. The outbuilding lies 2.5 metres north-east of the long house and includes a single roomed rectangular building, terraced into the slope.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 533 830
Map Sheet:SX58SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishPeter Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPETER TAVY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX58SW/68
  • Old SAM Ref: 22354 (PART)
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Royal Air Force, 1947, RAF/CPE/UK/2082, 3490 (Aerial Photograph). SDV295065.


Royal Air Force, 1947, RAF/CPE/UK/2149, 4291 (Aerial Photograph). SDV282746.


Royal Air Force, 1961, 58/4424, F44.138 (Aerial Photograph). SDV280247.


Linehan, C. D., 1966, Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon, 113-144 (Article in Serial). SDV307246.

A deserted household of two buildings and enclosures at White Hill.


Haynes, R. G., 1966-1969, Ruined Sites on Dartmoor, 150, 29/4/1968 (Un-published). SDV150434.

The turfed over remains of two cross passage longhouses, side by side, built of the small local metamorphic rock. Lies within a field system of very slight walls.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1979, SX 58 SW 28, 22/8/1979 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV235911.

A deserted farmstead of two buildings both cut back into the hillside. The larger building is of longhouse type, 18.8 metres by 4.7 metres with a cross passage and annex. To the north-east is a possible barn, 10 metres by 4.2 metres. Both buildings are of drystone rubble. A yard adjoins the south-east end of the structures.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Interpretation). SDV319854.

Complex visible on aerial photographs attached on north-east and south-west sides to north-east by south-west field boundaries.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 130990, (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

See details on the buildings records.


Bluesky, 2006 - 2007, Bluesky aerial photographs 2006 - 2007 (Aerial Photograph). SDV341189.

Visible on the aerial photography.


Greeves, T., 2007, Reddaford Farm, Willsworthy: An Archaeological and Historical Survey, 33-34 (Report - Survey). SDV360294.

Settlement 400 metres south-west of Reddaford on the west side of Willsworthy Brook. The settlement consists of a longhouse and ancillary building with a yard and the remains of a field system which respects the newtake boundary. It may have been abandoned by the 14th century.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads (Un-published). SDV352501.

Included on list. No further information provided.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 22/04/2016 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

This monument includes a medieval long house, outbuilding and associated farmyard situated on the lower SSE-facing slope of White Hill overlooking the valley of the Willsworthy Brook. The long house survives as a rectangular two roomed building terraced into the hillslope. The lower room is the largest and measures 15m long by 4.3m wide internally, and is defined by a 1.4m wide drystone rubble wall standing up to 0.8m high. Opposed entrances survive as well defined gaps midway along the long-axis of this room. In the area immediately upslope of the cross-passage defined by the entrances is a small pit which suggests either partial early excavation, robbing or later reuse of the structure. In the area immediately downslope from the long house a shallow drainage ditch measuring 1.5m wide and up to 0.2m deep leads away from the building. The upper room represents a later addition to the building and measures 4m square internally. The outbuilding lies 2.5m north east of the long house and includes a single roomed rectangular building, terraced into the slope. The interior of this building measures 9.2m long by 3.8m wide and is defined by a rubble wall standing up to 1.5m wide and 0.9m high. Both buildings are linked to each other by a short length of drystone wall measuring 1m wide and standing up to 0.2m high. This wall forms the north western edge of a small farmyard which measures 15m north east to south west by 11.5m north west to south east and is defined by a lyncheted boundary bank measuring 1.2m wide and standing up to 0.8m high. This settlement lies within a contemporary field system which survives as three separate boundaries. The first leads south west for a short distance from the settlement and the remaining two survive as incomplete lengths of bank to the north east and south west respectively. All these boundaries have been damaged by post-medieval fields, military and mining activity. In addition, further lengths have been buried below peat accumulation and consequently not enough remains to allow an accurate assessment of the character and extent of the field system associated with this settlement. The field system is therefore not included within this scheduling.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV150434Un-published: Haynes, R. G.. 1966-1969. Ruined Sites on Dartmoor. Ruined Sites on Dartmoor. Manuscript + Digital. 150, 29/4/1968.
SDV235911Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1979. SX 58 SW 28. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index. 22/8/1979.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 130990,.
SDV280247Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1961. 58/4424. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). F44.138.
SDV282746Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1947. RAF/CPE/UK/2149. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 4291.
SDV295065Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1947. RAF/CPE/UK/2082. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 3490.
SDV307246Article in Serial: Linehan, C. D.. 1966. Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon. Medieval Archaeology. 10. Digital. 113-144.
SDV319854Interpretation: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV341189Aerial Photograph: Bluesky. 2006 - 2007. Bluesky aerial photographs 2006 - 2007. Bluesky. Photograph (Digital). [Mapped feature: #77358 ]
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet.
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 22/04/2016.
SDV360294Report - Survey: Greeves, T.. 2007. Reddaford Farm, Willsworthy: An Archaeological and Historical Survey. A4 Spiral Bound. 33-34.

Associated Monuments

MDV51482Parent of: Building at Whitehill deserted farm, Peter Tavy (Building)
MDV51481Parent of: Longhouse in Whitehill deserted farmstead, Peter Tavy (Building)
MDV26929Related to: Field banks south of White Hill (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 11 2017 1:48PM