HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV118221
Name:Oak House, South Brent

Summary

This was the original Royal Oak Inn but was bought and closed down by the Temperance Society. After this, the current Royal Oak Inn was built directly adjacent to the north. This building and the two directly adjacent were built at the same time; around 1870.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 698 601
Map Sheet:SX66SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD? to 1870 AD (Between))
  • HOUSE (Built, XIX - 1870 AD to 1870 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Pub is depicted on the Tithe Map.


Robinson, R., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for South Brent, 1978? (Report - non-specific). SDV150007.

The earlier Royal Oak is shown on the Tithe Apportionment and was immediately south of the present one and was sold to Mr John Roope Cranch or his son William Cranch, builders who owned the adjacent property. They pulled it down and built Oak House on the site.
The earlier inn is described as having a projecting porch supported by granite pillars (one of which lies in Oak House garden), and may have been of some age and importance.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 107-8 (Monograph). SDV359976.

The old Royal Oak was bought and closed down by a religious factor keen to close all the pubs in South Brent. The new Royal Oak was shortly after constructed directly adjacent to the site.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Oak House is depicted on the modern mapping.


Unknown, 2017, The Lost Pubs Project, Accessed 10/01/2017 (Website). SDV359977.

The Royal Oak was purchased and closed down by The Temperance Society. The landlord then built another pub of the same name next door, which still operates today.


Google, 2018, Google Streetview (Website). SDV360654.

Image dated August 2016 shows the old signs for A. W. Cranch above the shop window (currently a art / craft store), advertising the Cranch family services, as Builder, Undertaker, Decorator and Plumber.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV150007Report - non-specific: Robinson, R.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for South Brent. DAS/DCRA Publication. 8. A4 Comb Bound. 1978?.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #77497 ]
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 107-8.
SDV359977Website: Unknown. 2017. The Lost Pubs Project. http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/index.html. Website. Accessed 10/01/2017.
SDV360654Website: Google. 2018. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV121618Related to: 10 and 10a Station Road, South Brent (Building)
MDV118220Related to: Former stables of the Royal Oak Inn, South Brent (Building)
MDV13316Related to: The Royal Oak Inn, South Brent (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 27 2018 5:03PM