HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV118357
Name:The Silent Whistle, Ashburton

Summary

Inn dates to the early 19th century and was originally called the 'Old Bottle / Bootle Inn'. Changed it's name to the 'Railway Inn' in 1872 and in 1973 to the 'Silent Whistle' after the railway line ceased to serve Ashburton. Closed for two years in 1985 and was fully refurbished. Opened in 1987 as the 'Fleece and Firkin' but changed name back to the 'Silent Whistle' in 1994.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 757 697
Map Sheet:SX76NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (Constructed, XIX - 1825 AD to 1825 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building is depicted on the late 19th century historic map as the 'Railway Hotel'.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 43-44 (Monograph). SDV359976.

When first opened in 1825, the inn was known as the Old Bottle Inn. It was smaller then; being only the straight section of the building before it curves round the corner. The inn was expanded in 1868 in an agreement with the South Devon Railway, which also allowed the construction of the station. The name of the inn was changed to the Railway Inn in 1872, when the line reached Ashburton. It continued to serve the town until 1967 following the construction of the A30.
In 1973 the inn's name was changed again; to the Silent Whistle. It closed in 1985 for two years but was completely refurbished and opened in 1987 as the Fleece and Firkin. The interior walls are partly covered in wood panels that were once fitted in a church, as was the beautifully carved screen behind and above the bar.


Webb, P., 1995, The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton, 42-3 (Monograph). SDV347208.

Silent Whistle (Old Bootle, Railway Inn, Fleece and Firkin).
Originally the Old Bootle Inn, this 19th century public house has records from 1823. Changed name to Railway Inn in 1872, then later the Silent Whistle in 1973. After a closure in the mid-1980s, it was reopened by the Courage brewery under another new name; the Fleece and Firkin, but name was changed back to the Silent Whistle in 1994.


Google, 2017, Google Streetview (Website). SDV359965.

Image dated May 2011 shows the name has been changed back to the Silent Whistle.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Public House is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV347208Monograph: Webb, P.. 1995. The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton. The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton. Paperback Volume. 42-3.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #77640 ]
SDV359965Website: Google. 2017. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 43-44.

Associated Monuments

MDV23269Related to: 28, 30, 32 and 32A St Lawrence Lane, Ashburton (Building)
MDV20726Related to: Ashburton Railway Station (Building)
MDV104797Related to: Cattle Market, Ashburton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 19 2017 3:05PM